Suntec A2VA7116 Oil Pump "growl & whish"

Old 01-26-08, 05:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suntec A2VA7116 Oil Pump "growl & whish"

My oil pump (Suntec A2VA7116) and input oil line to the bottom of the Beckett AFG Oil Burner has been making noises..."shwishing" and "growling" as the burner is pulling oil through the line. I can feel the rumbling all along the line back to the tank while holding the copper line.

I have a Roth oil tank on the other side of the room. So the copper lines go up to the ceiling, across the room, down the wall and enter the bottom of the burner housing.

The burner was also bucking and shutting down, requiring me to reset until I could get an HVAC tech. He said he bled the line thinking it could have been air. He left saying if it continues, the bearing in the oil pump may be bad and he will gladly return to replace it. The pump will cost me $150 plus labor.

The burner is no longer bucking and shutting down, but the loud noises continue every time the burner turns on.

So, I've done some reading here and others seem to have replaced their pump or filter, for the same symptoms.

I see online that I can purchase the replacement Suntec pump for about $45.00. I am very handy and read and evaluate specs. for my work. My system is out of warrantee now, so is this something I can tackle on my own? Or do I need special tools to replace the Suntec pump?

Old 01-26-08, 06:07 PM
My grandmother could replace the pump on a one-line system. It is pretty easy.

TURN OFF THE BOILER SWITCH!

Turn off the oil valve at the tank.

Take off the oil line at the input side of the pump.

Take off the 2 mounting screws on the 'ears' of the pump.

PULL OUT the pump.

Switch all the plumbing over. DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE!

Use regular pipe dope, Blue-Block, or something similar.

IF you have a 2 line system READ the directions for installing the by-pass screw on the return port with an allen wrench. DO NOT INSTALL on a 1 line system!

Pull out the coupling and examine. Replace if required.

Replace everything as it came off.

OPTIONAL: Now is a good time to bleed the oil line to the canister filter if you have a 2nd person around to operate the tank valve. Take apart the canister filter by loosening the top bolt and placing a pot underneath. Open the tank valve and let it bleed out about a quart of oil from the TOP part of the filter. Turn off the valve.

Change your canister refill and bleed the line BEFORE connecting to new pump. (You need a 2nd person to operate the valve at the tank while you are bleeding the line)

Bleed the pump and give it a whirl!

This BTW may not be your problem, but for the money invested in YOU buying the pump and 1 hour work, I think it is worth it.

Charlie

Old 01-26-08, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Oil Lines

Your lines could be full of "muck" restricting the flow. You can blow them out with a bicycle pump adapted to fit the flare fittings. Has anyone cleaned or replaced the screen in the pump? This is one of the most neglected parts of the fuel system. After cleaning out the lines & making sure the pump screen & filter are clean, I suggest abandoning the return line & installing a Tiger Loop instead. If you are not familiar with the Tiger Loop, here's a link to some info.

http://www.westwoodproducts.com/late..._tigerloop.htm

Old 03-22-08, 08:54 AM
S
Smile Suntec A2VA7116 Oil Pump

Thank you very much! Now I feel well prepared. Yes I have a 2 line system with return because the line from the Roth goes up and across the room to the Energy Kinetics System 2000. I look into that loop suggestion. Thanks again!.

Old 01-16-11, 06:03 PM
R
Beckett Oil Furnace

I am having a problem with my Oil Furnace. It is a Beckett. I cannot keep it going and it hisses and sputters when running. I have changed the in line fiber filter as well as adding another filter with a water separator on it. I have taken apart the A2VA-7116 pump and replaced that filter. I took a screwdriver on the ignitor springs and shown that I have spark. I took the electrodes out of the system, cleaned them and re-installed with the proper gap. I have spark. I also replaced the nozzel a couple of times thinking maybe a piece of sediment got in there. Another thing I did was to hook up some tubing to the bleeding valve and ran a gallon of fuel through it making sure there was no air in the lines. Still nothing. Anyone have any ideas why this will not stay running?

Old 01-16-11, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
You say it "hisses & sputters" & there is no air in the system.
When you bled the gallon of fuel, did you get a full flow of oil with no bubbles or foam?
Do you have one or two lines from the tank to the pump?
Have you checked pump pressure &/or vacuum?
How about the plastic coupling between the motor & pump?
In order to get the factory settings for the burner, I'm going to need the make & model of the furnace.
Sorry for all the questions but troubleshooting online is far different than being on site & being able to see & hear what's going on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: