Webster M34DJ-3 Fuel Pump

Old 02-10-08, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"v"

After 20 years in the trade I am but a meager student, constantly learning. I'll ask one of the other mods, KField, to take a look at this thread. Part of his multi-faceted business is measuring how tight a home is. He can probably shed even more light on the "V" factor. The air boot is great for supplying air to the burner but doesn't do anything for other sources of negative pressure.

I hate to sound like that auto mechanic but I'd still can that furnace as soon as I could. I've had a few upflows which would run right but never a downflow.

At the bottom of the page where it says "forum jump", if you click on the arrow & scroll all the way up to "user control panel", & click on it you will be taken to that page. From there, on the left side under "control panel" you will see "edit avatar". By clicking on it you should be able to choose a new avatar.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-08, 07:13 PM
Grady has imparted a wealth of valuable knowledge on you. Almost a careers worth. Although it sounds like you are having fun, the truth is in black and white. The furnace is not a keeper. You should try to work your thinking around to getting it replaced. The cat's meow for your installation would be the Thermo Pride OC2-56DE if the capacity is enough. The variable speed blower is a plus and they make an outside air kit for it. The intake kit is a little cumbersome but it makes the furnace work well where a negative pressure combustion air zone is present. It will probably outlive you if it is maintained properly.

Ken

Old 02-11-08, 05:04 AM
Dear Grady,

Thanks very much for the honest appraisal, and for asking Ken to take a look. It appears that what is being said by you and Ken both is that I will be "behind the eight ball," as the expression goes until I get a new furnace (viz. Thermo-Pride model). In my mind, I think I was hoping that I had actually diagnosed the real problems that have never been addressed here since day one with my Sanford-Son model. And, in addition I was hoping that my fixes that I have done just even this year were bringing solutions like never before. But, it sounds like the final verdict here is that I am in reality just in for more grief.

Thanks again for being honest about the big picture, I appreciate that very much--you are a champ!

Dear Ken,

I agree, Grady has imparted a wealth of knowledge on me. In tandem with his practical experience, his communication skills and teaching style cause me to suspect that he is no stranger to formal education. I would not be surprised at all to find out that he is currently a teacher, or has been an instructor somewhere before.

And, you are most correct when you suggest I am having fun learning about oil furnaces and attempting to improve my situation here. It is very rewarding to even just learn more about my situation and identify some of the problems that have caused my family much grief and expense over the years.

I think you and Grady have got through to me that this one is not a keeper as you say (for which many thanks to you as well for the honesty). I am fully persuaded that I will go with a Thermo-Pride next, I think this one is the cat's meow too, and I was very impressed with the man who came over and gave the bid--he measured my house and stood with me at my old furnace, and then sat at the kitchen table going over the paper work with me answering all my questions very patiently and thoroughly. This man talked about how it was a treat to work the smoke pump for his dad when he was younger and his dad owned the HVAC business that he and his brothers own now. His experience/knowledge and attitude is a standout in my neck of the woods.

At first he quoted me on an OC model Ken, but he called me the other day to tell me TP came out with a new model. A very high efficiency model, and I can't find my note right now, but I think it was either an OD or an OH model that he said was not even on the TP website yet. So, I think I am coming about and steering towards the TP.

And, if you have time to continue here in this thread I would like ask:

-- Why have you emphasized the variable speed blower on the Thermo-Pride that you reference? I have that on my furnace now, is this an advantage?

--Also, as Grady has let me know when I ask for specifics why my furnace is junk and should be sitting in a scrap yard instead of my home (viz. the vent pipe comes out below the burner), I wonder if you could continue with your most agreeable 'black and white' methodology here and let me know plainly why this one is not a keeper. I have shared with my wife that the consensus here is that we need to get rid of our current furnace ASAP, and I have shared with her about the vent pipe below the burner. But, when she presses me for details to support the proposition that this one's not a keeper (especially since it's running better than ever and this is the first year we have never had a service call), I find myself with nothing further to buttress this assertion--and appear clever by half with both my research and my somewhat poorly supported conclusion.

Is it possible that you could help me to understand better, that you could bullet point or list why this one needs to hit the road and never come back no-mo no-mo?

1.) . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .

2.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..

3.) . . . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . .

Thanks very much for your time and patience,

Rick

Last edited by Rick's Furnace; 02-11-08 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-11-08, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hit the Road & Why Thermo-Pride

1. Hot gases don't want to go down. {Application Problem}

2. You've had one replacement heat exchanger. How long do you think it will last? {MAYBE 5 years}

3. Poorly designed heat exchnger. {Very hard to service properly}

4. Thermo-Pride's reputation. {The best in the business}

5. Thermo-Pride will pull a dealership if they document poor installations. {I've seen it happen}

6. You have a 3 speed fan not a true variable speed.

Old 02-11-08, 03:37 PM
That's a good point Grady. In addition to the vent pipe being below the burner, the heat exchanger may go bad.

When you speak of servicing the heat exchanger, I am guessing you mean cleaning it out?

Rick

Old 02-11-08, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cleaning Heat Exchanger

Cleaning is exactly what I meant. In the upflow configuration it is difficult. In the downflow, it's a two man job.

Old 02-19-08, 06:02 AM
Dear DIY Community,

As I shared earlier, my Webster fuel pump (mentioned in title of this thread), has developed a leak which is coming from the adjustment screw cavity.

I am wondering if any have had any experience with this? I am thinking it may be the O-ring around the screw. I have a new screw & O-ring here now sent from Webster. I called the man at Webster back, and asked him if I could just simply back out the existing screw and put this new one in[?] but he wasn't sure. He said he had never heard of one leaking there. It seems if the idea is to put pressure on the spring cap and inturn the spring and piston, this would be acceptable; but, I'm not sure.

But, this is my question, can I just change out the screw without turning the bolt that forms a cavity around the screw, reset my pressure, and be good to go?

I have a new Suntec pump here ready to install, and the silicone I placed in the cavity has stopped the leak (and the whine). So it is not a pressing matter at the present. But, I am wondering about the procedure for changing this screw as I consider my options.

Thank you,
Rick

Old 02-19-08, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Webster

For now, I think I'd let sleeping dogs lie.

Old 02-20-08, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post

For now, I think I'd let sleeping dogs lie.

All things considered, this proverb sounds right. Thanks Grady.

--Rick

PS I have changed my avatar from the "eight ball" to "Woodstock" because while I still am not exactly flying straight with my furnace situtation, I think I am heading in the right direction now with, at minimum, a better understanding of oil burning furnaces.

Old 02-03-09, 10:00 PM
Smile

Pretty good conversation you guys got going !

Anyway, Rick, I was on this website a couple of years back and I followed Grady's advice to a "T" when I had some problems with an installer.

To this day--out here in Western Washington state--our Thermo Pride oil furnace works wonderful.

You cannot go wrong with Thermo Pride. They are simply top notch folks who make great equipment and take great Pride in serving the customer.

Old 02-04-09, 08:26 PM
Well, I'm a year late. Just noticed your thread was dated 2008 and mine is 2009.

Hope things worked out for your furnace, Rick.

Old 02-04-09, 09:50 PM
A year is not such a long time. It was nice to see an email from this forum pop up in my mail box. You are correct "Therm" Grady is a champ and a smart man will follow his advice to a 'T.'

My old furnace is history. I still have the metal from the cabinet and some sheet metal from inside the unit ready to patch up my poor old pick-up truck. But, the rest is gone.

Are you still out there Grady? If so I would like to mention that my heat exchanger did not have cracks on it like the one you sent me photos of last year; however, it did have three large black burn marks on it where I think it would have cracked within the five year mark you outlined to me. The combustion chamber had several cracks in it, but none all the way through.

Once I got this furnace apart and could clearly see what we only discussed (and was theory for me) last year. I thought what a miserable thing. The holes/slots in the 'foam' combustion chamber were on the bottom of the chamber so the heat/smoke had to go down through those slots (I wondered if the thing was in backwards), then around the primary heat exchanger and then down again into the secondary exchanger, and then down again and out the flew! Sheesh!!!

But, as you know, Grady (if you are still out there), I was made a deal I couldn't refuse on a new Carrier. And, my numbers are still good on this one from last year (I didn't touch it as you suggested). But, I think I found a way to make a Carrier last as long as a Thermo Pride.

Just install a high efficiency Vermont Castings wood burning stove and this way you will only turn on your furnace on Super Bowl Sunday when you give your wood stove a rest and a good cleaning. Beer 4U2 Seriously, I turned on my furnace for the first time this year the other day to clean the glass doors primarily. But, this crazy stove is really doing the job on my small three bedroom ranch house. I have put as much effort into learning about these stoves and moving the heat around the house through convection as I did last year with the oil furnace and it is really paying off.

I'm not sure if I am going to use my furnace again this year or not . . but, this is how I think I can make my Carrier be the last furnace I will ever buy, as if it was a Thermo Pride (just use it once per year).

Actually, I am going to put my CO tester together with the rebuild kit this year and fire up the furnace again and get that number which I didn't get last year so I can see where I'm at with my efficiency. I am having fun with the stove this year with it being new and all, but sometimes (like right now as a matter of fact) I am up late at night, when I'd rather be in bed, waiting for the fire to regain its thermal momentum after loading it so I can set the controls and go to bed. Even though I already have my wood cut/split and stacked for next year, I'll probably run the furnace more next year. I can see myself putting in a new thermostat with a timer so that it will kick on right before we get up in the morning in case the fire burns down too low during the night. With the uncertain economy, I do like having the option to heat my home now for the price of 2 gals.of chainsaw gas and 1 gal of bar oil.

Anyway, I'm tired and babbling now so I better sign off.

Hey Grady, don't you still owe me a cup of coffee?

--Rick

Old 02-05-09, 07:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cup of Coffee

Yep, I'm still here & yes I do owe you a cup of coffee. The next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to look you up & pay up, with intrest.

That's a great idea on how to make that furnace last as long as a Thermo-Pride & I'd almost bet it would work. Glad things are going well. Stay Warm.

Old 02-10-09, 08:32 AM
Good to hear from you Grady! Thanks for saying hi. I'll probably be back to bug you some more when I check the numbers next month on this Thermo Pride . . . I mean Carrier furnace.

With this double filter system that you recommended last year and my good numbers from last year, I'm hoping to just make some checks and then be ready to shut it down for the summer.

I think it will be interesting to see what the CO and efficency rating is this year (after I put that rebuild kit in my tester).

Peace to the reader,
Rick

PS Yes, the next time when you are in town, if you have time, I will drive up to Centerville and buy you one of the many cups of coffee I owe you! I wouldn't mind having a beer instead Beer 4U2, but there is that flashing red light thing!