Carrier Weathermaker 9200 not working...?

Old 02-10-08, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Carrier Weathermaker 9200 not working...?

I took over this house after my dad passed away last year. he was an all-around handyman, but I know very little about HVAC.

Friday afternoon, I realized the house was pretty cold, thermostat said 61, so I upped the heat and didn't think twice. At 5:00 it's 56, and of course it's now after business hours.

A tech called and helped me troubleshoot some potential causes- filter's new, furnace is not coding, exhaust pipes outside are clear (suprisingly, after the 16 inches of snow we just got)...circuit breaker box...yup, it's that! Flipped it off & back on, furnace was on by the time I got back in the house. All happy and starting to get toasty.

Sometime overnight or Saturday morning, the furnace stopped again. Flipped the switches every few hours, reset the thermostat...nothing. Tried it all again about 10:45PM, nothing. About 30-45 minutes later, the heat magically came on while watching movies. Grrr! I don't know what made it come on, but I said thank God and went to bed cozy.

Woke up this morning to a 48 degree house.

I have no idea what's wrong.
The breaker isn't being tripped (or resetting it isn't working).
The light isn't coding, it's a steady orange led.
The pilot light isn't on, but of course when the heat was on, the pilot was.
New filter, replaced last month.
No blockages, gas should be working and on because the oven's heating up.

What could be going on?
Could it need a new blower?
If so, I helped install one in our old wood burner and might be able to fix it.
Would me doing this void a warranty, if the unit is still under it? I believe it was new in 06.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-08, 10:55 PM
Arrow ps...

---
Just changed the fuse thinking perhaps that was a cause. No change.

Turned the power to the whole house off for 10 minutes, still nothing. Reset the thermostat numerous times, messed around with the temp settings to get it to click, but still no heat.

When I turn only the fan on, that blows fine, but I switch it to heat and the fan stops.

I don't know if this has any relevance or not, but I faintly recall seeing the thermostat on Friday late morning, and it was doing a countdown. I didn't see exactally what it said because I rushed to find batteries, thinking it just needed new ones.
No idea what that countdown meant (or even said), but the problems started after that.

...Could it be a wiring problem?
...Could a mole/mouse get in the pvc exhaust pipes outside, and that's blocking the airflow?
...Is my furnace haunted?

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 02-11-08, 01:10 AM
Try glancing at the thread below. It may give you some ideas to start up troubleshooting your furnace.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=332012

Old 02-11-08, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sporadic pilot ignition is often the cause of your problem, where you can reset the furnace one time, and get the furnace to work, and then on another occassion, it won't.

You need to take off the big cover to the furnace and observe what happens when you turn up the thermostat. See if the pilot tries to come on. I am guessing that you have a problem with the pilot orifice being partially plugged, or a grounding issue with the pilot assembly, or it's flame sensing capabilities are not working.

Tell us if the pilot tries to come on, and stay on, and if during that occassion, the furnace runs. And tell us that when it don't run, if the pilot even comes on at all, or if it comes on and goes back out again before the main burners try to light up.

Old 02-11-08, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by shechrissy View Post
The pilot light isn't on, but of course when the heat was on, the pilot was.
I just recieved message from fellow poster that your furnace has no pilot. I based my answer on your quote.

Old 02-12-08, 12:47 PM
Thumbs up

I feel like this is one of those ''is it plugged in?'' blond moments. I paid a tech to come in, as I couldn't find the source of the problem. The furnace was fine, but just not receiving any information from the thermostat, as there was a wire that had loosened itself behind the thermostat.

For reference for anyone else who may have similar problems, check the vent pipes to make sure they're not blocked. If the weather gets below freezing where you are (we were just at -45 the other day...), make sure you don't have any screens covering the pipes outside, as condensation can build up then freeze the vent shut, and your furnace won't work.

Also check the condensation tray- if the furnace is NOT coding, you can remove the main front panel and the panel on the bottom half, the one that covers the amber LED light (if the light IS coding, do not remove the smaller panel, as you'll erase the error code information). Check the white condensation tray to see if it's clogged.

A big THANK YOU!!! to everyone who replied. It makes me feel empowered to know that I can do most anything on my own, and with a little bit of research and advice from the community, I can get the job done RIGHT!

-Chrissy

Old 02-12-08, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by shechrissy View Post
The furnace was fine, but just not receiving any information from the thermostat, as there was a wire that had loosened itself behind the thermostat.
Obviously that loose wire was just that - loose - and barely - but not disconnected totally, otherwise you would have never gotten heat - not even sporadicallly.

Sorry we did not find this for you. Any one of us here would have likely been able to find your problem in probably minutes, as one of the first things a diagnotician checks is to see if the stat is completing the power to the furnace.

The descript of your post I think threw us, in how it WAS working, and then wasn't. A lesson to us all to never overlook such a loose wire in such sporadic situations. Even more so I suppose if you find out someone other than an HVAC guy put in a new stat, let's say.

Now I am wondering if that furnace I tried to fix about 1 month ago, where the homeowners said they even put in a new stat, had this as a cause, as I could not diagnose the problem that night, to their dismay, because it fired up and worked fine on about 6 back to back runs. Hmmmm. I'm going to have to find out from the landlord if the furnace guy who was called out resolved exactly what part, or loose wire?, was the cause. Shame on me for never pulling the stat to take a look. I checked out all the other connections IN the furnace itself.

Old 03-09-08, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=shechrissy;1313312]I feel like this is one of those ''is it plugged in?'' blond moments. I paid a tech to come in, as I couldn't find the source of the problem. The furnace was fine, but just not receiving any information from the thermostat, as there was a wire that had loosened itself behind the thermostat.

For reference for anyone else who may have similar problems, check the vent pipes to make sure they're not blocked. If the weather gets below freezing where you are (we were just at -45 the other day...), make sure you don't have any screens covering the pipes outside, as condensation can build up then freeze the vent shut, and your furnace won't work.

Also check the condensation tray- if the furnace is NOT coding, you can remove the main front panel and the panel on the bottom half, the one that covers the amber LED light (if the light IS coding, do not remove the smaller panel, as you'll erase the error code information). Check the white condensation tray to see if it's clogged.

Thanks Chrissy for posting this.

We stopped getting heat last night, but the LED light wasn't coding. We got over 20" of snow this weekend, so we cleared the outside pipes, took a blow dryer to the condensation tray and replaced the batteries in our thermostat console, and we were good to go!

Rhoda