Propane Usage

Old 02-12-08, 07:57 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propane Usage

I am told that the average propane usage for a family of two in the winter here in Reno NV is 8 gallons a day. IS this true I would like to hear from some experts. Not sure where to post this if in the wrong place I am sorry.
Thanks

Old 02-12-08, 09:36 AM
H
To figure out an estimated usage you need to post what you use the propane for. Example, for cooking only you might use 8 gallons every couple of months. If you heat a swimming pool, you could go through 8 gallons a day.

Old 02-12-08, 09:45 AM
A
We have a propane cooktop a propane water heater and a 2 stage trane xl90 furnace. House is 2x6 walls insulation in ceiling is 16 inches plus. Sorry about that.

Old 02-12-08, 01:40 PM
H
While I'm not that familiar with the climate in Reno other than dry and hot I looked at this weeks weather forecast there. Being it's supposed to be a high of anywhere from the 40's to 60's during the day and 20 to 30's at night, 8 gallon per day usage seems high.

Old 02-12-08, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say its hard to say One home is not the same as the other . No mater where you are. just what are you after on this???? The amount of Lp you use can also go back to if the line size and regulators where put in right. The W/C or psi on the gas is right. do you keep the furnace filter clean and new. You can have a lot of IFs IFs here.

Old 02-12-08, 04:02 PM
A
I was told by my propane company that the average house in the winter uses 4 gallons per person with thermostat set at 68. Well I disagree with that knowing how things are set up in my house. Might agree with them if I had temp at 70 and had poor insulation and single pane windows. I believe that I gathered enough information that I am going to change propane companies.
Thanks

Old 02-12-08, 04:29 PM
H
4 gallons per person per day????? That's a new one on me and I've been in the propane business for over 15 years.

Does that mean that a family of 4 is going to use 16 gallons per day??? I think not!

Old 02-12-08, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I agree that what you heard about propane consumption is very bad information.

Your propane consumption is directly related to the heat loss of your house, how high you set the temperature, how much hot water you use and how much you use your stove.

If you change suppliers it should be based on the price per gallon charge.

Old 02-12-08, 06:04 PM
A
I am not in the propane business but just common sense and keeping on top of things told me that they think I am an uniformed consumer.Yes I am going to change and the new company is about .40 a gallon cheaper and not a large corporation!!!! I thank everyone for there comments and I knew some pros would have something to say about this.

Old 02-04-11, 12:29 AM
J
Propane cost help

I moved to around Sanford, NC around october 30th and am currently renting a house that is roughly 1700 sf. The house has a propane heater, propane water heater, and propane oven/stove. I recently had to refill the tank and the actual cost to me over the last 86 days was 581.63. This amount seems crazy, I moved here from Alabama where my townhome combined electricity and gas cost rarely exceeded 120/ month, yet here I am exceeding that in just gas cost. Can anyone tell me if this seems to make any sense or not?

Old 02-04-11, 06:22 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
That works out to just under $7 a day for heat, hot water and cook stove. Not sure what the cost of LP is there but to me it sounds right, that's only 2 or 3 gallons per day and it is winter.

Old 02-04-11, 08:05 PM
J
Thanks heat pro - The cost per gallon was 2.6990. I just wanted to make sure it made sense, really shocked me to get that bill as I had never spent that much on heat before. My previous townhome was approx 2000 SF but it was in alabama, the gas price was below 2/gallon and I also had neighbors on both sides. At one point I did not have a neighbor on one side and even saw a noticeable change in my cost.

Old 02-04-11, 08:31 PM
J
I actually need to clarify that last statement, the cost in Alabama was actually per cubic foot and you got billed per 100 cubic feet. The price per gallon then turned out to be roughly 27 cents, not sure what type of fuel/gas it was but darn that is cheap!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: