Schematic question

Old 02-12-08, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Schematic question

this is my exisitng furnace heat schematic.

The schematic on the furnace shows the leads a and b reversed from this diagram.

If I change these leads will the furnace still work ? ie move a to b and b to a

as in W to Rh ?
this was setup this way by the a/c ppl when they put the a/c into the furnace.

Schematic

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-08, 11:58 AM
If all you use the furnace for is heating then it should be ok either way. The t-stat is just a switch.

Old 02-12-08, 11:59 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
It will work either way.

The convention is to have the transformer (hot) lead use a red wire and it will connect to the R or Rh terminal on the thermostat with a white wire connecting to the W or W1 terminal on the thermostat and back to the W terminal on the furnace.

You may also have a green wire that connects to the G terminal on the thermostat and to a G terminal on the furnace. This is for manual blower operation. If you do have the green wire and the thermostat has an "Auto-Fan-On" switch then the red lead from the transformer must be in on the R (or Rh) terminal of the thermostat.

Old 02-12-08, 12:08 PM
thanks guys excactly what I was looking for ...

when they put in the a/c they added a second transformer -- most likley cause they didn't know lennox -- the a/c guy was york

so they took a quick way to get it all working
my suspicion

-- so there are 2 transformers in the furnace 1 for G and Y the second only for W

once I get this rewired I want to put it all together to have only 1 transformer.

Old 02-12-08, 12:43 PM
once I get this rewired I want to put it all together to have only 1 transformer.
I would advise against that. There are several reasons why having two transformers is better.

In fact, if it works, even if the wire colors are incorrect, why change it?

Old 02-13-08, 07:21 AM
the wiring seems to be mmessy and haphazard in the furnace,

are there a special kind of terminal contector to connect wires in a furnace or do the twist and turn on caps work fine?

I suspected that the two transformers may be affecting the furnaces habit to eat an ignitor module every few years... plus the drum humidifier was hooked of 1 of the transformers which 1 of the service guys said could affect the module ? can that ?

Old 02-13-08, 07:24 PM
after thinking about this I relaize that on one side I have a few relays and a transformer G and Y

on the second transformer I have W or the heat leg

why can't both be on a single transformer it would cut out the 40va and 75 va tranformer to a single 40 va transformer for the entire furnace

power saving as well as integrated operation ? or not ?

Old 02-14-08, 02:12 PM
You could re-wire using just the single 75 VA transformer...if you know what you are doing.

I couldn't begin to advise you on how to accomplish this without knowing ALL of the different equipment in your system and how it is currently connected.

Old 02-14-08, 04:26 PM
ok

I'm not going to make any changes till this summer -- no need to run into trouble till the heatg season is done

so this is the schematic of the exsitng furnace
2 transformers the orginal a 24v 40va on the fan control center hooked o the fan motor and to the a/c unit relay

the other side is hooked to a 75va trans with onlt the inverted heat circuit.

I would also like to add a second relay to hook in the humidifier so I was looking at a white rodgers 90-130 fan control center with dpdt relay latter --

I think I need to invert the heat system first , on exisiting transformer , the 75 va (honeywell af150 ) unit== this will put it in place like on the furnace schematic

Old 02-14-08, 08:52 PM
Remove the 40 VA transformer.

Re-connect the hot lead from the 75 VA transformer to the Rh terminal of the thermostat. Connect a jumper wire between the Rh and Rc terminals on the thermostat.

Connect the common leads from the A/C and fan relays to the common of the 75 VA transformer.

I assume that the humidifier requires 120 volts for its operation. Some furnace boards have a terminal for this purpose and it is energized with the fan operation.

Old 02-15-08, 08:36 AM
ok think i got you thanks again ,

schematically this is the result ,
the tstat is now jumpered and the wire going to Rc is taped up at the tsat...

in reality ----I'll use my skills from working as a reseach lab technican to help pull me thru the real world wiring part---

the 75va transformer was put in by a service tech since it was the only one he had in the truck at the time --- the previous one was a 40 va with a buss fuze

there seem not to be any boards in this furnace -its a 1963 design but made and installed about 1991 -- why ask the contrator

next the power side.

thiss makes Dave and me happy !!

Last edited by geoimpala; 02-15-08 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 10:13 AM
on the power side (120 v) I have the following .

I have a question about the l4064 -it has 4 wires 2 red that go in the 24 v circuit, I assume but can't check right now that the other 2 ylw and blk are the hot 120 v wires to the fan control. ? right / wrong ?

here is what I have now '

and this is my target configuration using the 90-130 fan center with dpdt

this should make Dave (lennox ) and me happy as I now have high speed summer fan motor as well as low speed winter as recomended on the schematic in the furnace.

did I get this right ?

Old 02-15-08, 11:21 AM
Wink

I would also like to add a second relay to hook in the humidifier
Just get a A 50 and slip it over the blower wire. Or a sail switch both will control it for you.

Old 02-21-08, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys , I can really start plotting my actions with that--

There is one more question with regaurds to the 2 transformers.

I have read that the g8 furnace even my 1990 built one can, when both a/c and heat are in it, trip or override the upper safe limit on the limit switch when the fan is on from the thermostat with a single transformer ...

is that right ? and could someone possible tell me why ?

thanks good enough reason to leave it alone hahah