Furnace Shuts Off And Wont Cycle Properly

Old 02-19-08, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace Shuts Off And Wont Cycle Properly

A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, I WOKE UP AND OUR HOUSE WAS ALMOST 10 DEGREES LOWER THAN WHAT WE HAVE OUR THERMOSTAT SET AT. NOW CONSIDERING I LIVE IN DETROIT AND IT IS WINTER.. THATS A WHOLE LOTTA HEAT LOST THESE COLD DAYS!
ANYWAYS, IT SEEMS THAT THE FURNACE ISNT CYCLING PROPERLY. I HAVE TO TURN THE MAIN SWITCH ON AND OFF TO GET IT TO TURN ON, AND SOMETIMES, IT WONT LIGHT. AFTER ABOUT 4 OR 5 TIMES THE FAN WILL JUST TURN OFF.
HOWEVER, THERE IS A GREEN FLASHING LIGHT THAT IS FLASHING, SOMETIMES FAST AND SOMETIMES SLOW. AND ONCE I TURN THAT MAIN SWITCH OFF THAN ON, IT FLASHES FAST. ..... PLEASE HELP!!!!! IM FREEZING!!!!!

Old 02-19-08, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Gas or Oil

Is the furnace gas or oil fired? A make & model might be helpful.

Old 02-19-08, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oooops! Sorry Bout That, Its Gas..... Lenox

Old 02-19-08, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Gas Furnace

On most modern gas fired furnaces there is a small rod with a porcelain insulator on the opposite end of the burner rack from the igniton. This rod is the flame sensor. If you can find it, remove, clean with Scotch Brite or FINE steel wool, & re-install.

If your furnace is ignited by a spark which lights a pilot which in turn lights the main burners, you could have a dirty pilot assembly.

Watch the ignition sequence. If the pilot lights ok & the main burners light then shut down right away, the problem is probably the flame sensor. If the pilot does not light, try cleaning it. There should be a key to the blink code on the inside of the blower door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: