Heil model NTC6150KJA1 furnace

Old 02-27-08, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Heil furnace Humming noise. Transformer?

I have a problem with my Heil furnace model NTC6150KJA1 and am hoping someone can help me and prevent a costly service call. When the furnace is not running, there is a humming noise coming from the lower section and I can`t tell if it is the transformer for the fan or the capacitor. This also keeps my humidifier running continiously and not cycling on and off with the fan, like it should be doing. I would like to just order and replace one of these parts myself.

Last edited by Jmitsch; 02-27-08 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added information
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-08, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure your blower motor is not the cause, and is electrically on and stuck in the on position.

What might be happening is the furnace fire comes on, and limits out because blower fan is stuck, and then the blower tries to stay on to cool off the heat exchanger, but cannot, because it is froze up, so IT hums and also keeps the humidifier energized.

With the furnace turned off, open up the bottom (if updraft furnace) blower door and see if you can freely spin the blower wheel by hand. It should easily spin and stay spinning for many revolutions,and like for 10 seconds. Also try to grab the blower wheel and jiggle it up and down to feel if you feel any slight clunking between the shaft and bearing.

Old 02-27-08, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the advise. I will check that tonight. Do you have any other suggestions if it`s not the blower motor?

Well, I checked the blower motor and it spins freely and the bearings seem fine also. The humming has been going on for a couple of weeks now, but the furnace seems to operate fine, including the fan and CFM. What made me notice the problem was the fact that the humidity was extremely high and condensation was running out of the humidifier and plenum and the humidifier runs constantly even when the furnace is off.

Last edited by Jmitsch; 02-27-08 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-27-08, 03:23 PM
Open up the blower door compartment and hold the door safety switch or tape it to complete the electrical circuit so you can concentrate on telling where the hum is coming from. Could be the transformer. See how many volts are coming in (~120 VAC) and going out of it (~24VAC), and just plain listen to see if that is it. Find where it is coming from. It is reasons like this that I invested $1.99 on a mechanics stethoscope on sale.

At least now you know your blower motor spins good, so that check is not all for naught.

Old 02-27-08, 05:31 PM
Unhappy

It might be time to purchase a stethascope. The transformer is putting out 27.4 volts but I still cannot tell where the humming is coming from. Is it possible for the capacitor or the relays to humm that loudly?

Old 02-28-08, 02:54 PM
Rather than guess, you should be able to hone in on it by stethoscope or even by your fingertips resting on things. Ignition modules have transformers when electric igniton devices like glow coils or direct spark ignition is used.

Old 02-29-08, 09:12 AM
The best I can tell it is one of the modules or relays on the Fan Timer Control Module board. It seems like that is where the loudest humming is coming from. Do you think that one of these relays could humm that loudly? Would these be the more likely culprit then the transformer? I found a new board for $168.

Old 03-01-08, 03:19 PM
I really do not know. You are there, I'm not. I'm not that much of an actual electronics whiz to have an answer for you, like that.