Help with Pensotti Mercon5M maintenance

Old 02-27-08, 02:06 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Pensotti Mercon5M maintenance

HI all!! im new here: ) We have a Pensotti, Mercon 5M fuel furnace...ide liek to do my own maintance to it, once a year.
Is it easy to do the oil filter? and nozzle? I found the oil filter online, unifilter 101. WHat nozzle would it need? doe sit have an air filter? i cant find it .
any inof appreciated all!!! thanks

Old 02-27-08, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Pensotti

Pensotti is a hot water boiler & has no air filter. The model you refer to, "mercon 5M", I suspect to be the model of the burner. The make of the burner would be Riello & the model a Mectron 5M. If you've never worked on a Riello & don't have the manual, I strongly suggest you call a local professional. Most service people will show you what to do & tell you what not to do. While the service person is there, ask him/her to explain your heating system to you.

Old 02-27-08, 03:16 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks YEs, its a mectron 5M... i misread. Ive alwasy wnated to to do things like this, becuase i like learning. Last year, oil company serviced it, and i watched and asked questions... he was very helpful.. i am somewhat mechanically inclined..i do my own car brkes, oil changes, fuel filters. All he did, was change the oil filter, and sprayed the nozzle with some kinda methanol spray. so!!its something ide like to do myself.
Behind hte Mectron 5M, on left, thiers air slots.. but no filter. I was under the assumption, thier should be a air filter? Through the air slots, yuo can see a small motor,a nd the lines.
WHat kinda fuel nozzle, would i need as replacement?
thanks agian

Old 02-27-08, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Oil Company Service

I hate to have to tell you this but your service man was a jackleg. Anyone who touts himself as a technician & only does that poor excuse for service needs a stern lesson in how to properly service a boiler & burner. If you want to do your own maintenance, get some books on the subject &/or attend a class at your local vocational school or community college. At a very minimum I would suggest calling the oil company, talking to the service manager about the level of service you recieved, & asking to have someone come out to do the job right. This would include: Brushing & vacuuming the boiler, vent pipe, & chimney base. Changing the filter, pump screen, & nozzle. Cleaning & adjusting the igniton electrodes. Inspecting and cleaning the burner fan. Doing at least a visual inspection of the tank (if it is accessable) and the oil lines. Checking & adjusting (if needed) the fuel pressure. Firing the burner and doing a complete combustion analysis (preferably electronic). Testing all of the safety controls. Making sure all circulators &/or zone valves work properly. I'm sure I've left out some steps but as you can see, it isn't a 15 - 30 minute job. It ticks me off to no end when service people do this kind of slipshod work & help to destroy the confidence customers put in myself & my fellow professionals.
END OF RANT

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: