WeatherKing Gas Furnace Won't Light HELP!!!!

Old 02-27-08, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation WeatherKing Gas Furnace Won't Light HELP!!!!

I have a WeatherKing Gas furnace model #80pj10ecr01.
Recently, the furnace stopped turning on. At first I thought it was the pressure switch, because all other components worked perfectly when it was manually bypassed. So I bought a new switch and installed it and it still does not work unless manually bypassed. The draft inducer turns on, and I've checked the hose for obstructions and that was clear. I did notice however, that there was no air moving in or out of the hose while the motor was running. Not sure if its too subtle for me to perceive or that something else is going on. All I can say is that it seems to me that enough negative pressure should build up to cause the pressure switch to activate the igniter and cause the burners to ignite. Does not seem to be happening in this case and I'm not sure what to do next. Can anyone give me a hand with some information on this.

Thanks a million in advance!

-Juan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-08, 06:47 PM
Cut off the power to the furnace.
Remove the hose from the pressure switch.
Try and blow into the hose back towards the Induced draft motor. (don't blow into the pressure switch!)

If you can blow back into the induced draft motor through the hose AND the unit works with the pressure switch bypassed then the next step would be to remove the induced draft motor from the housing and inspect the blades/impeller.

If you CANNOT blow back through the tube then remove the tube end from the induced draft motor and take a small paper clip (diameter should be about the size of the copper in the thermostat wire or so) and open it up some and use it to ream out the metal tube on the draft motor where the hose went. Sometimes carbon/rust particles jam up in there.

If it happens again in the near future it might be best to remove the draft motor and clean it out from the inside.

In eather case if you remove the draft motor you will eather have to be very careful not to tear up the fiberglass gasket too bad or you'll have to go back with some high temp gasket material.

Michael

Old 02-27-08, 07:24 PM

Mike,

First off, thank you for your advice and help. It's much appreciated!!!

Tried blowing into the hose towards the inducer, and there was no obstructions to the inducer. It was free and clear, which in this case you suggested inspecting the blades. Is there anything specific about the blades and their condition that I should be looking for? Could it be a simple of matter of cleaning them off?

-Juan

Old 02-28-08, 03:17 AM
Taken from the manual for your unit. Hope is of some assistance.

Old 02-28-08, 04:34 AM

Pflor, thank you so much for taking the time to put up this information regarding my question. It's folks like you and Mike ( who also responded) that restores my faith in the goodness of people and their willingness to help their neighbors. Glad that great old American value is still alive.

Blessings to you both!

-Juan

Old 02-28-08, 06:49 AM
Pflor, thanks for the brain refresher! Juan, I had forgotten about checking to see if the flue pipe is clear of obstructions. Sometimes you get a criter that gets in there or makes a nest in the pipe or the like and that will cause the pressure switch not to close.

Juan, once the boss told me he had run across an induced draft motor with the blades rusted down and it wouldn't pull pressure. (still can't imagine that) ...another time (don't recall what brand) on a furnace the blade wasn't staying on theh draft motor properly and wasn't spinning.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Old 02-28-08, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Blades I have seen are plastic. They are held on by some tight fit method, like a clip. Sometimes the acid in the condensate wrecks the clip and or the shaft gets reamed out enough to make the blade loose, and then rubs inside. Makes racket though. If the inducer sounds fairly quiet, likely you have no problem with it. And you surely don't if the pressure switch closes upon activation of the inducer.

If the pressure switch contact was NOT closing, then you could settle any curiousity by temporarily unhooking the exhaust vent and run inducer momentarily to see if plenty air movement out of it.