trane xr90- blowing cold air

Old 02-28-08, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy trane xr90- blowing cold air

On occasion (5-7 times a week), my gas furnace kicks on and only blows cold air. In order to get the furnance to light again and stay on, I have to reset my gas furnance by removing the front panel. The house is only 2 yrs old. After the first couple occurances, I called the HVAC guy and he came out, but said everything looked fine (of course the problem did not replicate when he was here).
Now the problem has gotten worse and when I go to reset it, the pilot lights, then the gas lights, but then immediately blows out. In instances such as this, the fan just keeps running. After removing the panel a few more times, it comes on and works
The filters are all clean/new.
The condensation pump (?) is working (I was told this is typically the cause
The only other gas applicances I have are a water heater and a fireplace (which is not getting used)
The t-stat is original-Simple Comfort 2000

I requested the company that services our Propane tank to come out and do a pressure test, but was told that is probably not the issue. They are coming in two days.

Any suggestions?
The unit is still under warranty, but the labor calls are not.

Thanks
Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-08, 08:24 AM
I would start by cleaning the flame sensor with a scotch brite pad. It should be located on the left side of the burner compartment and looks like a thin metal rod extending into where the flame would be.

Old 02-28-08, 07:49 PM
Thanks
I'll give that a shot... Is it easy to get to or should I have a pro do it. I'm comfortable taking things a part and putting them back together, but want to make sure there is no safety risk.

Old 02-29-08, 05:37 AM
You shouldn't have to take anything apart. just remove the panel that covers the gas valve where you can see the burners and such. On a call for heat put the meter leads where the wires plug on to the gas valve. You should get around 24 - 26 volts ac.