How much oil should my system be burning?

Old 02-28-08, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much oil should my system be burning?

I don't know much of anything about my oil fired hot water boiler except it is about 15 years old and has a Beckett burner.
I recently had installed a 80 gal. electric hot water tank to bypass the boiler so I can turn it off in the summer months. (I live in New York)

I ran out of oil last night and went down to the gas station and filled the tank with approx 4.5 gallons of diesel fuel. The temp outside was about 20 and I had the thermostat at 70. I l live in a well insulated ranch house approx. 1770 sq ft. The 4.5 gallons of fuel lasted about 24 hours. I think thats alot of fuel to burn in such a short time. Does the consumption of this much fuel in a 24 hour period sound reasonable? Or is my boiler's efficiency in the basement?

I want to change the fuel company that services my boiler and delivers my oil. They keep failing to deliver oil before I run out of it and now I'm questioning the service they are providing to my boiler because I feel it is consuming more fuel then it should be.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-08, 01:58 PM
There's other info that is needed other than the fact that you have a Becket burner to determine how much fuel you're going to use. For a 1770 sq ft ranch, 4 and a half gallons may not be that far off given the temperature. I know where I am in NY (Mid Hudson Valley Region) it was cold last night and today. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

As a side bar, it is not a good idea to let your tank go dry, you could be drawing sludge from the bottom of the tank depending on how it's piped.

Old 02-28-08, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Fuel usage

Presuming a .75 gph nozzle, that's only 6 hours of burn time. If the nozzle were 1.00 gph, 4.5 gallons would only last 4.5 hours of burn time. It doesn't sound unreasonable at all to me. If my company has a run out, the serviceman will dump in 5 gallons to get the customer thru the night & we get a truck out first thing in the morning. Sometimes the 5 doesn't last all night.

Old 02-28-08, 02:18 PM
Wink

How much you burn starts with how cold is it out side?
Find out what the nozzle size X the run time on the boiler. It pays to have the burner cleaned and set up by a good tech . That knows oil burners and has all the tools to test and set the burner up.