New Trane XV-80 Furnace

Old 02-29-08, 05:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow New Trane XV-80 Furnace

We had a new Trane XV80 plus CleanEffects and AC coils installed, however, it is not clear that multiple stage operation of Trane is working.

Initially we were told the control unit inside the house has to be installed to support the two stage cooling and heating. We found the flow to upstairs rooms less after the installation, and called them again. This time, the installer said the unit goes to second stage after 10 minutes and staging is not controlled by the thermostat unit inside.

I also noticed that no wires are connected to both heater and conditioner second stage wires at the thermostat.

I believe the installer does not want to get into trouble of rountng new wires to support the new unit, and making false representations, but I would like to be sure.

Thanks for all the help and opinions regarding this

Old 02-29-08, 07:40 PM
T
Time to take matters into your own hands. Get your owners manual out and read it. If you have enough tstat wires for the second stage you can wire it up. If not, replace the wire or consider your other options. If you dont have a fully programmable tstat that you can configure temp. differential, then you may be better off configuring your second stage to come on in a predetermined time. You do that on the printed circuit board on the furnace. Read the book, weigh your options then decide what you want to do.

Old 02-29-08, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tim_Mimar View Post
Initially we were told the control unit inside the house has to be installed to support the two stage cooling and heating.
Control, as in the Thermostat? Was this not changed when the furnace was installed?

We found the flow to upstairs rooms less after the installation, and called them again.
It will be lower when 1st stage is running, but once you get a long run time in 1st stage, the heat will make it up there.

This time, the installer said the unit goes to second stage after 10 minutes and staging is not controlled by the thermostat unit inside.
Take it the stat was not changed out, or not wired right?

I also noticed that no wires are connected to both heater and conditioner second stage wires at the thermostat.
You get the XL16i or XL19i A/C?
Was W1 and W2 jumper at the board?

I believe the installer does not want to get into trouble of rountng new wires to support the new unit, and making false representations, but I would like to be sure.
If the stat was not changed out or did not and not able to get new wires up to support two stage heating and cooling(?), I would tell them to get the Honeywell IAQ T-stat (YTH9421). That stat is able to control both two stage heating and cooling.

Old 02-29-08, 08:38 PM
T
Arrow

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, I mean thermostat when I said control unit.

Yes, there was a new thermostat placed, but have only the following wires connected:

W, R, G, and Y

I do not see any wires on W2 or Y2 terminals

They said they wanted to give me fancier thermostat, but said there is no Common wire, and they said it would be very difficult to run new wires between the thermostat and the Trane heater. This made me suspected that as the main reason they could not readily connect the W2 and Y2.

The thermostat is PR1 or PRO1 True Confort

Is it possible to control the dual stages by Trane XV80 (by itself) without having these wired to the thermostat?

Old 02-29-08, 09:20 PM
If you do not have a W2 terminal at the thermostat, then the thermostat is a single stage device.

It is crazy to pay a premium for a fancy 2-stage unit and them not install a t-stat that would be able to take full advantage of it.

Yes, these 2-stage furnaces do allow for the possibility of communicating with a single stage thermostat, and if so, the unit will start in low-heat and after 10 minutes automatically goes into high heat and stays in high heat until the thermostat is satisfied. Why then, not just go with a cheaper 1-stage furnace instead of them selling you this cadillac of a unit?

And yes, they did not want to go through the trouble of having to fish a new thermostat cable behind your partition walls.

You have a Cadillac there [the 2-stage furnace] and you're not pushing the gas pedal [the 1-stage t-stat] past 30MPH. A Yugo would do the same for a fraction of the price...

Shame on them.

Old 03-01-08, 04:14 AM
What's the answer on the A/C? Is it a single stage or two stage?? XL16i or XL19i?

Then request them to swap out the t-stat to a Honeywell IAQ t-stat, that only needs 3 wire to run the whole system.

Old 03-01-08, 05:10 AM
M
AC Repair

This guy is blowing smoke hopefully he is not a one man operation and you can call his boss you did not get what you paid for

Old 03-01-08, 09:12 PM
T
Im sorry guys but i kinda disagree. Ive always asked the customer one simple question. Whats more important to you, efficiency or comfort? They have a hard time answering but almost always choose comfort. Knowing that, a two stage thermostat really provides no more comfort than a single stage thermostat. As for efficiency, I have found the same results. Inconclusive. I always install a two stage stat but only because of this same situation. The homeowner thinks that because he has two stage equipment he needs a two stage stat. I highly disagree. Manufacturers are now offering two stage gas furnaces at 95% efficiency with no option of a two stage stat meaning it all happens in the furnace. Also, fully modulating units are offered that are also stand alone capable. The thermostat will return to its preglory status. Its just a switch that turns the heat on and off. Not trying to argue just giving my opinion.
Oh I forgot,the Trane XV80 is not by any measure a cadillac as furnaces go. Its only 80% efficient, a dinosaur by todays standards.

Old 03-02-08, 05:05 AM
I think it all depends on where you are out of..

My parents had a two stage put in the new house built 3 years ago, and the electric company only put in single stage stat. Mom complained the basement was cold. I changed out the stat to a two stage, and with long run time in 1st stage, the basement warmed up.

I myself turned of the two stage stat into a single stage, I was gettingn the same results, colder family room in the basement, and also found it annoying it running in 2nd stage at the last 2 min and shut down.

Old 03-02-08, 05:45 AM
A looong philosophical discussion could ensue from this thread...regarding the unit being sufficiently efficient, or not; or if the thermostats are more than switches or not... etc., etc.

Thermofridge is right when he says this unit is an 80%, and there are better ones out there. Much better.

The real issue here I believe is: If you have a multi-stage unit, the unit is capable of giving you what a single stage cannot...else there would not be a reason for having them.
So, if a professional sells a customer into buying a multi-stage, and talks about its benefits together with a multi-stage t-stat, and then gets cold feet about changing the t-stat...does not that tell us something?

Old 03-02-08, 10:13 AM
I agree with thermofridge.....

There are 2 stage furnaces which DO NOTneed or use a 2 stage stat. And there are some which DO.

I don't have a book for the Trane unit. It does sound like the contractor has not been communicative with the customer, as to how the system works, should work, could work.

Not seeing the house, I would suggest that USUALLY it would not be difficult to pull a new 7 or 9 wire low voltage cable for a new stat. So, the real question is to determine if a new stat is needed....and will it provide better efficiency and comfort. Perhaps you need to get a second opinion from another contractor.

Old 03-02-08, 11:30 PM
T
Arrow

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

As the AC we have American Standard (also Trane I understand) that was installed in 1997 - 5 ton unit. They suggested just changing the AC coils. The order states: "24 1/2 wise AU style 5 ton evap cases coil." Not clear what that means. No brand, but I do not think it is Trane. I remember seeing some other name on the box when they were installing it.

I do not know if we did the wrong thing by not insisting on Trane XL16i or XL19i with regard to cooling performance and efficiency?

The order also states "2 stage Digital Setback Thermostat (PRO 715)." I checked it has W2 and Y2 terminals, but no wires connecting to these.

Is the two stage operation of AC cooling similar to the 2 stage heating process and relatad advantages. Compressor and AC coils run at the same rate, but just the fan speed varies at stage two?

I also noticed fizzling or bubling sounds when I run the AC, and I told them it probably does not have full charge (I had similar experience from car AC). They did not believe me first, but checked and found some number of pounds low on refrigerant. But, the guy said he will have to bring it to charge it later.

Old 03-03-08, 05:19 AM
If the current A/C is not a two stage, then Y2 is not needed at the t-stat.

What is the current model of A/C you have now? Depends where you are out of the 2 stage A/C is nice, but for me up here in Minnesota, it's a waste of money to have a two stage and high SEER rating unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: