PayneDraft Inducer replacement, help?

Old 03-02-08, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PayneDraft Inducer replacement, help?

I have a Payne (carrier) PG8UAA furnace, about 9 years old, and I bought a new draft inducer motor (318984-753) since the old one was getting noisy and I thought I'd save myself the trouble of having it go out unexpectedly!
Everything went fine until I tried to remove the old fan or wheel on the end of the shaft. The set screw seems to be frozen on there, and I've had no luck removing it. I soaked it with penetrating oil, tapped on the shaft, and have just about destroyed one allen wrench trying to break it free. I have since ordered a new wheel which should be here in a few days.
I put the old motor assembly in the furnace and it worked fine for one day. Now it's toast, so I'm going to pull it today. I have a gas fireplace, so we have some heat for now, but looking for advice?
I need to at least get the sheet metal mounting brackets off the old assembly, but I suppose I might have to cut the old wheel off? Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Inducer

It's often easier to replace the whole venter than trying to replace parts. If you have a moto-tool, you can use a cutter disc to cut thru the fan hub & shaft. It's going to take time & several discs but it can be done.

Old 03-02-08, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but I finally got it. I decided I didn't care about the old wheel or the set screw so I finally took a hammer and punch to the set screw and smacked it good. That did it, broke it loose and removed the set screw.