Opinions on glow-stick ignitors

Old 03-05-08, 10:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opinions on glow-stick ignitors

I'm out at the big-box store late yesterday afternoon rounding up the needed channels and supplies to rebuild drop ceiling that a tv cameraman 'took out' while filming a big local event - above drop ceiling? (duh!), when he fell right through it 10 feet onto the shelves and then floor below), and I get this call from ANOTHER guy I work for - his maintenance man - who wants me to tell him how to diagnose the rental property furnace outage over the phone. I did. He took parts off furnace as we spoke by cell, and found a glo-stick ignitor *I* put in and dated, 1 1/2 years ago, and found it burned/cracked. Hmmm. Very disappointing. (Care was taken when I installed it and never touched the glow-stick nor bumped anything.)

I bought this with the understanding these are superior and last much longer than the flat HSI. Hmmm. Opinions on these, anyone? They cost more, you see.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-08, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I personally don't know of any HSI that are superior to others.

There are several "universal" styles of HSI out there which are find if your in a pinch. I prefer to use proper igniter for the application when ever possible.

There are several factors that can affect the life span of a HSI regardless of how careful you were not to touch it when installing it. Humidity and the position of the igniter in the flame and moisture in the gas are just a few of the variables that will shorten the life span of an HSI.