furnace trouble

Old 03-06-08, 06:51 PM
furnace trouble

To any and all who can help me.I have a radiation furnace in my house with 2 zones(1 up stairs and 1 zone down stairs)The down stairs zone works but the zone up stairs zone is the one giving me trouble.Here goes,when i turn up the thermostat,the zone valve opens,which in turn turns on the circulator(which is the way it works in a nut shell)but my problem is that the circulator dos'ent turn,I know the circulator works because the down stairs zone works.could the problem be with the zone valve.thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-08, 07:20 PM
You may have to replace the valve.
Taco? B&G? Honeywell? which one is it?

BTW, you have a boiler here, not a furnace.

Old 03-06-08, 10:14 PM
first of all thanks.my boiler is a newyorker and the zone valve is honeywell.just to add to my last note,i've noticed that the valve is telling the circulator to turn on, but it only turns on for about a second and then shuts down(almost like it trips out)but again the other zone works fine so i don't think its the circulator.again thanks a lot

Old 03-07-08, 01:51 AM
O.K. then, let's follow-up on your suggestion that the pump is good. That being the case, then we have one of these problems:
(1) the end switch of the zone valve is defective,
(2) the 24V motor of the zone valve is defective, or
(3) for whatever reason, the little motor of the zone valve is not opening fully (or doing so for just a short period of time), so the end switch contacts do not close (or close for just an instant and then open up again)

Pls see the pic of the zone valve below. Notice the 4 wires coming off of it. two should be yellow (these are from the motor), and the other two are either red or blue (these are from the end switch).

This is how it works: on a call for heat, the thermostat sends 24V to the motor of the valve...the motor starts spinning, opening the valve...once fully open, the contacts of the end-switch close and energize the pump relay (usually an R845A relay) which then turns the circulator ON.

Notice also on the picture, the manual opening lever. this is what you'll do:
- with your finger, push that lever manually and lock it onto to the open position
- put a jumper between the two wires coming off from the end switch.

If by doing the above the pump kicks ON and stays ON, the pump indeed is not the problem but the zone valve.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-07-08, 01:57 AM
Is this a new zone valve???

Hi again...
It just occurred to me to ask:
Was this valve just recently installed?

If so, please double check its installation. Zone Valves are FLOW SENSITIVE. If installed backwards, then when the pump kicks ON it could cause this problem you are reporting.

On the body of the valve itself there should be an arrow, which points at the proper direction of the water flow.

If the valve is installed on the supply side of the boiler, then the arrow must point away from the boiler. If the valve is installed on the return side, then the arrow must point towards the boiler.

Please check this.

Last edited by pflor; 03-07-08 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-07-08, 07:01 AM
again,thanks.I tried what you suggested by jumping the 2 wires(on mine they are red) and the circulator worked fine.but the next question you asked was if this was a new zone installed?and yes it is.Its a erie motortrol valve model 465b307-ga1,problem is that there is no arrow to indicate water flow but there is letters A on one end and B on the other,so again i ask for help in finding what direction the water should be flowing in this unit.and again thanks a million

Old 03-07-08, 07:06 AM
Pls take pics and post them. Close-ups and not-so-close-ups to see the valve, the boiler and nearby piping too.

hard to help with your last request without being there. Pics would be my eyes there