Help! My heat is not working nor is any air blowing out.

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-07-08, 09:51 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! My heat is not working nor is any air blowing out.

I know that I have gas heat, however, unfortunately, that is all I know! This morning I woke up and it was freezing, the thermostat was set to 69 and it was 60 degrees in the house. I have a newborn baby in the house and it is going down to the 20's tonight. When I shut it off and turned it on, by thermostat, nothing happened. My heat comes out of the same vents my central a/c does, if that helps. I do not hear anything kick on, nor do I feel any air coming out of the vents. I truly have no idea what happened. It was working fine yesterday. I attempted to play with my circuit breaker but that didnt work either. I live in a townhouse as well, if that helps! Sorry I have no idea about these things. Help me please

I have two links for pictures of my heating system.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...1620674437.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...1620699781.jpg
 

Last edited by Mariella; 03-07-08 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-07-08, 10:26 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I usually keep my heat on auto, but when I adjusted the thermostat to on, cool air started blowing out of the vents, but it wont get hot. Also, I have a relatively new hot water heater that seems to be attached to my heating system. Im not sure if one has to do with the other, although for the moment I do have hot water. Dont know if this will help. Thanks for your time
 
  #3  
Old 03-07-08, 10:29 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 86
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Not trying to give a short answer but gas heat can be very dangerous to mess with. Your furnace looks fairly old and almost anything could be broken.

Do you have someone that can check the pilot? Professional help may be your only option if the pilot is OK.
 
  #4  
Old 03-07-08, 10:49 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tater1800 View Post
Hi,
Not trying to give a short answer but gas heat can be very dangerous to mess with. Your furnace looks fairly old and almost anything could be broken.

Do you have someone that can check the pilot? Professional help may be your only option if the pilot is OK.
I just bought my townhouse two years ago, and although there were many new items, the heating system and central air are original. I dont even know where to find the pilot. Oh my god, I could not image the cost of a new heater! Thank you for your time. Any clue how much a professional will cost?
 
  #5  
Old 03-07-08, 10:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,629
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it possible that the thermostat's fan "on" and "auto" terminals were reversed? Has this always been like this perhaps, since you say you almost always have it set to 'on'?
 
  #6  
Old 03-07-08, 11:00 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Is it possible that the thermostat's fan "on" and "auto" terminals were reversed? Has this always been like this perhaps, since you say you almost always have it set to 'on'?

No, I usually always have it on auto, but now that doesnt work at all. When I place it on, on, air blows out and I hear it kick on, however, the air is cold.
 
  #7  
Old 03-07-08, 11:28 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 86
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
I just bought my townhouse two years ago, and although there were many new items, the heating system and central air are original. I dont even know where to find the pilot. Oh my god, I could not image the cost of a new heater! Thank you for your time. Any clue how much a professional will cost?
The cost could be $100 and up. This late on a Friday you may be looking at paying for an "after hours" service call if you can find someone to look at it. Your best bet is getting someone to check the pilot light. Failing that, you may need to find somewhere for you and the baby to stay tonight. This the best I can offer, sorry.
 
  #8  
Old 03-07-08, 12:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,629
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try the resetting procedure over and over, by turning off that breaker, or a switch next to the furnace, wait maybe 30 seconds and turn it back on. Wait and try this procedure several times. Even if it fired up one time and brought the heat up in the house, that be nice, to buy you time.

You could hope that perhaps a tiny reset button in the middle of a small switch on the furnace where say 2 wires go to the switch, is tripped, and by pushing in on some tiny red pin-like button, on the switch, beween the switches wire terminals, may make it come on. If you find any such switch and you press in and hear a little click sound, then it was tripped. If no click, then it was not tripped.

Other than this, the next easiest thing, short of snow packed up against the outside vent, let's say, would be a flame sensor that has to be taken out and polished up. These are usually fairly easy to get to and are held in by 1 screw. And that could only be the problem IF you saw the burner fire- up for a few seconds, before going back out.
 
  #9  
Old 03-07-08, 12:39 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Try the resetting procedure over and over, by turning off that breaker, or a switch next to the furnace, wait maybe 30 seconds and turn it back on. Wait and try this procedure several times. Even if it fired up one time and brought the heat up in the house, that be nice, to buy you time.

You could hope that perhaps a tiny reset button in the middle of a small switch on the furnace where say 2 wires go to the switch, is tripped, and by pushing in on some tiny red pin-like button, on the switch, beween the switches wire terminals, may make it come on. If you find any such switch and you press in and hear a little click sound, then it was tripped. If no click, then it was not tripped.

Other than this, the next easiest thing, short of snow packed up against the outside vent, let's say, would be a flame sensor that has to be taken out and polished up. These are usually fairly easy to get to and are held in by 1 screw. And that could only be the problem IF you saw the burner fire- up for a few seconds, before going back out.
Thank you. I am going to try it now. I know I am probably sounding rediculous, but I am nervous because it is gas. Im going to try to click the switch. There is a switch located on the side. I know there is supposed to be a pilot which stays lit, Im just not sure where to locate it. Thanks for all your help!
 
  #10  
Old 03-07-08, 12:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 8,629
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A pilot that stays lit. Good, a clue. Don't do anything until trying to see if there is a pilot flame. Gas valves with pilots have a smaller aluminum tube, of about 1/4 inch (not the larger 1/2 inch sized one) that leaves the gas valve and usually bends it's way down into the burner compartment. If the burner compartment is open, you should see the flame in there, maybe up to 1 foot in, or less. Check this out and report back, soon.

I want to add that I never saw the pics on the OP as when I scrolled down to the OP, I thought the post ended at the 'smiley'. A rotation of the mouse wheel never lowered the post! Now I see it is an 'antique' furnace, standing pilot, not a high efficiency, likely has the thermodisc-type limit and fan switches. It looks like it could be a down draft mobile home furnace, with the blower compartment up top. But usually the flue pipes do not offset like that, if that is the original furnace. But it still might be one.
 

Last edited by ecman51; 03-07-08 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
  #11  
Old 03-07-08, 01:56 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Mariella

Putting aside all other issues, including the thermostat, it's settings, the water heater, the air conditioning, town house, mobile home, down draft or updraft type furnace side electrical switch etc. etc. etc. does not mean anything.

That furnace has a constant burning pilot flame. Which has likely gone out. Usually and most commonly as a result of a defective (burned out) thermocouple or a dusty yellowed pilot flame.

If the pilot flame is on but yellowed, it will not properly heat the safety element. (Thermocouple). As a result, the burners will not turn on.

If there is no pilot flame visible, the thermocouple is burned out and must be replaced.

A visual inspection can be safely done. Use this method. First. Be sure the thermostat is set to OFF. Then look into and through the holes is in the front cover. Look for a pilot flame.

No pilot visible. The safety element (Thermocouple) is burned out. Which totally turns off all heating. That part needs to be replaced. Does require some handy work with small hand tools. Once the thermocouple is replaced, pilot must be relighted and a reset of the safety device done.

Hope this helps and clarifies all issues.

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
 
  #12  
Old 03-07-08, 03:29 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys. I really appreciate all your help. I looked through the holes and I do not see a pilot light lit. My neighbor is going to come over and check it out for me. Im just nervous due to the fact that it is gas. I will let you know what happens. Again, thank you so much for all your help! Its so nice to see all these people willing to help!
 
  #13  
Old 03-07-08, 03:48 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,389
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hope your neighbor can get it lit for you. If it needs a new thermocouple Make sure he cleans the pilot . Also might check and see if the air filter is clean.
 
  #14  
Old 03-07-08, 04:18 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 86
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
Thank you guys. I really appreciate all your help. I looked through the holes and I do not see a pilot light lit. My neighbor is going to come over and check it out for me. Im just nervous due to the fact that it is gas. I will let you know what happens. Again, thank you so much for all your help! Its so nice to see all these people willing to help!
Hey,
Don't be nervous, just respectful. The safety features on a gas furnace work very well. If they didn't, with your pilot off as it is now, your house would be full of gas. You almost have to know what you are doing to get into trouble. I said almost. The almost is the reason for the warning in my first post. Come back and give a report later.
 
  #15  
Old 03-07-08, 07:27 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys. He actually came over to light the pilot and I panicked and wouldn't let him. I dont know, gas items make me nervous. All I saw was a bbq torch and had a semi panic attack. My other neighbor, Mr. Gil, whom is more mechanically inclined, is coming over in the morning. I trust him will gas and flame a little bit more. I am happy that I checked in, because I was sitting here all nervous, wondering how I was going to sleep, due to the fear of gas leaking out, and now after reading the prior post. I feel so much better. Thank you all for all your help, and hopefully, I will have it working tomorrow. My house is holding at 62 degrees, so its not too bad. I will let you all know what happened. Thanks again.
 
  #16  
Old 03-08-08, 08:46 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My neighbor came over today and he lit the pilot for me. He said that he had to shut the gas off for five minutes before he can light the pilot. I am still a little nervous, because it blew out, but it seems to be ok now. However, I am going to purchase a carbon monoxide detector tomorrow. I dont have one and believe it is good to have. Thank you so much for all your help! I now know where I can come for help! You guys are fabulous!!! Thanks again!!!
 
  #17  
Old 03-09-08, 09:16 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 86
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
My neighbor came over today and he lit the pilot for me. He said that he had to shut the gas off for five minutes before he can light the pilot. I am still a little nervous, because it blew out, but it seems to be ok now. However, I am going to purchase a carbon monoxide detector tomorrow. I dont have one and believe it is good to have. Thank you so much for all your help! I now know where I can come for help! You guys are fabulous!!! Thanks again!!!
It is good to hear that you are warm again. Strong winds could have caused this but more likely a problem is developing. I think we can rule out a problem with the gas supply since the water heater stayed on. It was mentioned to check your filters. If the furnace is in a closet, check that the door vents are open. If the door has a filter, check that too. If your heat fails again professional service is needed. My carbon monoxide detector is old and should be replaced. Thanks for reminding me.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: