Newbie! Oil furnace won't start even after line bled

Old 03-10-08, 08:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Newbie! Oil furnace won't start even after line bled

Hi there,

My oil furnace is an older model. It's been running fine and we've had new filters, nozzles, even a new motor. We had an oil delivery today and it stopped running.
I've bled the line before with success however this time I opened the nozzle and hit the reset button, tried running out the air before closing it up but it tripped. When I tried to do it again no oil came out at all...now I can't get any oil to run through and we just got 100 gallons!!
I don't wan't to keep hitting the reset button for fear of loading the chamber up with too much oil. And we can't afford to have anyone come out and charge us. We've already dropped $4k this winter alone.

HELP. PLEASE.

thank you
Joe

Old 03-10-08, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
No Fuel

Did you open the bleeder port on the pump? This bleeder looks like an automotive grease fitting & depending on the make & model of the pump, could be on the top or at the 5:00 position.
Some take a 7/16" wrench but most use a 3/8. If you did that & don't get any oil with the motor running all the way thru a safety cycle, check the filter. It, the line, or the tank valve may be clogged. A hose over the bleeder & into a container of liquid (preferably fuel) will tell you if you are blowing air. If it blows air for a while then sucks the fuel out of the container & back into the pump, something is clogged for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: