Gas furnace issue

Old 03-10-08, 11:39 AM
aro
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace issue

I came home from work and noticed the house was cooler than usual. I checked the thermostat and it was indicating that the heater was on (see the little flame icon on 1st picture). I switched to AC mode and it was blowing the cold air. I switched back to the heater, the flame icon shows up on the thermostat but heather didnít start. I have followed instructions on the unit to star it, however it didnít work. Please let me know what else can I check or how I can troubleshoot. Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 12:11 PM
Pls provide Mfr's name and unit's M/N.

They should be on the sticker to the left of the burners, on the furnace wall through which the gas line enters, as it's heading towards the gas valve

Old 03-10-08, 12:23 PM
aro
Thanks for the replay pflor. I will post the name as soon I get to the house.

Old 03-10-08, 03:36 PM
aro
Originally Posted by pflor View Post
Pls provide Mfr's name and unit's M/N.

They should be on the sticker to the left of the burners, on the furnace wall through which the gas line enters, as it's heading towards the gas valve
Manufactured by Bryant Heating and Cooling Systems
Model 383KAV060111
Max unit amps 14.4
Motor HP 3/4
Please let me know if you need additional information

Old 03-10-08, 05:58 PM
Please tell me if anything at all is happening.
The normal firing sequence in this furnace is as follows:

1-thermostat calls for heat (this is indeed hapenning b/c you told us that the little flame symbol shows on the t-stat display
2- induction blower turns ON.
this is a small blower in the furnace, in charge of bringing air for the flame
3- ignitor starts glowing
your furnace has a hot surface ignitor
4- gas valve opens and combustion starts
5- some 30 seconds later (or so), the main blower turns ON

Are any of the above steps happening at all?

Also, your furnace has an electronic control board with a STATUS LED (a small blinking light) that depending on the flashing sequence tells what has gone bad.

If the LED is continuously OFF, the furnace is not getting power. The problem then could be something as simple as the service switch having been turned OFF, or a tripped circuit breaker

If the LED is continuously ON, the board is getting 24V

If there's a problem, you'll be able to see a number of short flashes followed by a number of long flashes, in a sequence that is repetitive.
For example: one short flash (1) followed by three long flashes (3) is code number "13", which would mean a limit switch has tripped.

So go to the furnace, find the board and look at the LED, and let us know what pattern of flashing do you see.

Old 03-10-08, 06:03 PM
switching from heating to cooling

BTW...
on your first posting you indicate having turned from heating to cooling and then back to heating from the t-stat.

You don't want to switch to cooling during winter. You may damage the compressor by doing so.

Unless outdoors is at least 55F (and even that is a stretch), an a.c. unit should not be operated.

Old 03-10-08, 07:57 PM
aro
Please tell me if anything at all is happening.
The normal firing sequence in this furnace is as follows:

1-thermostat calls for heat (this is indeed hapenning b/c you told us that the little flame symbol shows on the t-stat display
2- induction blower turns ON.
this is a small blower in the furnace, in charge of bringing air for the flame
3- ignitor starts glowing
your furnace has a hot surface ignitor
4- gas valve opens and combustion starts
5- some 30 seconds later (or so), the main blower turns ON

Are any of the above steps happening at all?

Also, your furnace has an electronic control board with a STATUS LED (a small blinking light) that depending on the flashing sequence tells what has gone bad.

If the LED is continuously OFF, the furnace is not getting power. The problem then could be something as simple as the service switch having been turned OFF, or a tripped circuit breaker

If the LED is continuously ON, the board is getting 24V

If there's a problem, you'll be able to see a number of short flashes followed by a number of long flashes, in a sequence that is repetitive.
For example: one short flash (1) followed by three long flashes (3) is code number "13", which would mean a limit switch has tripped.

So go to the furnace, find the board and look at the LED, and let us know what pattern of flashing do you see.
Thanks for the information pflor.
I it goes all the way to step 4, however 5 fails. I think it attempts to perform 5, I even could smell a gas, but it fails and light on the led started blinking. BTW, when I was tasting yesterday, it would stop after 1.
The status led was continuously on until I turned the unit on from the thermostat. After that it had 3 short blinks and 4 long onece. Thanks for your help

Old 03-10-08, 08:15 PM
3 short and 4 long blinks: code-34, which for this unit means Ignition Proving Failure.

Most common reason for such is a flame sensor with a build-up of oxide. Simple to solve, remove the sensor, gently clean with steel wool (or very fine-grit sand paper) so it gets back its shiny metal look, and re-install.

In your furnace (see pic below), the flame sensor is at the center of the red circle I have drawn.

I hope this takes care of your problem. Else, give an update in the forum

Old 03-10-08, 08:35 PM
aro
3 short and 4 long blinks: code-34, which for this unit means Ignition Proving Failure.

Most common reason for such is a flame sensor with a build-up of oxide. Simple to solve, remove the sensor, gently clean with steel wool (or very fine-grit sand paper) so it gets back its shiny metal look, and re-install.

In your furnace (see pic below), the flame sensor is at the center of the red circle I have drawn.

I hope this takes care of your problem. Else, give an update in the forum
Thanks for your help. Will clean the flame sensor tomorrow and let you results. Thanks again

Old 03-11-08, 06:27 PM
aro
While I was removing the burner I accidentally broke the ignitor. I am searching by model number to find the replacement.

Last edited by aro; 03-11-08 at 08:06 PM.