Armstrong furnace and AC

Old 03-12-08, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Armstrong furnace and AC

Hello, any opinions good or bad on Armstrong furnaces and AC units? I would like to replace our old relic with a new unit and add central air at the same time. The one I was looking at is the 95V Ultra high efficiency gas furnace. The guy claims it's the only unit on the market with stainless primary and secondary heat exchangers among other things. I'm a furnace rookie so I value your opinions. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-08, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Armstrong is owned by Lennox.
Lennox makes top notch units.
I suppose then, Armstrong is likely a heck of a unit.

http://www.furnacecompare.com/manufa...armstrong.html

Old 03-13-08, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Armstrong

Armstrong is decent equipment but there is no junk out there. There are a whole lot of junk installations but no junk equipment. Armstrong & many other manufacturers had a problem a few years ago with their A/C coils. I presume that has been fixed by now. BTW, hardly anybody makes their on coils. At the time, Armstrong was using HeatCraft coils.

There is a lot to be done before choosing eqipment. One of the most important is a Manual J heat loss/gain calculation. Any bidders who don't do one should be shown the door. Just to keep the honest people honest, you can do your own. One of the best available online is from http://hvaccomputer.com
The cost is about $50 & you get tech support. I've used it myself & was quite impressed. The $50 you spend on the program will most likely be recovered via the purchase of smaller equipment not to mention the reduced operating cost.

I'd rather have the "cheapest" equipment, installed by the best installer than the "best" equipment installed by a poor installer.