Can't light pilot light

Old 03-15-08, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't light pilot light

I have a Carrier furnace model 58GP050-2, series 221.

I've followed the instructions for relighting the pilot light. When I depress the pilot light button, nothing happens. What should I check next?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-08, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What exactly do you have to do to light your pilot? I am presuming you have to do more than just depress a button. Physically reach in there and light it? Or, depress a lever at the same time that sends sparks in there?

Old 03-16-08, 09:14 AM
Thanks for your response. The instructions inside the furnace say to depress the knob (beige in photos), turn position to off for 5 minutes, then turn back to pilot position and depress button, which is inside the beige assembly. Nothing happens when I do this.
http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323...B%3B5%3Bvq0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323...B%3B5%3Cvq0mrj

Thanks

Old 03-16-08, 12:08 PM
Unless your furnace says not to, and usually furnace instructions are very clear about that, you most likely have to physically light the pilot hood area, down in by the burner, with a long match/lighter.

Now I'm trying to remember what the instructions say on a standing pilot gas water heater, - if they actually tell you how to go about lighting it with fire, or if the assumption is just there. I am goiing to a rental I have to check on anyway, to see what IT says, regarding that. I'm curious now. Of all these things I've been around and worked on, I actually can't remember if they tell you to light it, or if that part of the instructions is a no-brainer. Isn't that odd?

Old 03-16-08, 01:25 PM
Thanks for helping. It's not clear to me from the instructions if I should try fire.

Old 03-16-08, 02:40 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
If you have a "standing pilot" (always lit) then you need to light it manually.

The fact that you have a "combination" gas valve, which is defined by having "OFF", "PILOT" and "ON" positions along with instructions to turn to the PILOT position and to push the knob down when lighting the pilot tells me that you need to manually light the pilot.

You first need to locate the pilot burner. The pictures you posted are far too small for me to see any detail.

You need to follow the 1/4 inch diameter aluminum tube from the combination gas valve to the pilot burner. Holding a lit match (a fireplace match may work well) at the pilot burner turn the combination gas valve to the PILOT position and hold the knob down. This should light the pilot burner.

Continue holding the knob down for about a minute and then release it. If the pilot instantly goes out then the "thermocouple" is shot and needs to be replaced. If the pilot remains lit then replace any doors or baffles you removed to gain access and then turn the knob on the combination gas valve to the ON position.

Post back if this doesn't work.

Old 03-16-08, 03:34 PM
The gas water heater says to light it quickly with a match while depressing. That solves that mystery.

Some furnaces or boilers have a manually operated sparking device, where you push down on a lever, instead of using a match. (They use those in furnaces or boilers where they have a draft motor to the burner compartment, and the burner compartment is not readily accessible to get to the pilot with a match.)

Old 03-19-08, 07:00 AM
Thanks for your assistance. It's lit.