Weather King 90RJ gas furnace does not ignite

Old 03-16-08, 09:30 AM
Question Weather King 90RJ gas furnace does not ignite

I have a Weather King 90RJ Upflow gas furnace that occasionally does not light. Model # 90RJ04EES01 Serial # GE50302F340502895 Mfg Date 08/2005 45,000 BTU 93.5 AFUE EFF.

The thermostat call for heat, the prepurge cycle completes, the electric igniter glows bright orange, you hear a "click" from the relay on the circuit board, BUT THEN THERE IS NO "SWOSH" OF GAS TO COMPLETE THE COMBUSTION.

I bled the gas line and there is plenty of gas pressure. This is an intermittent problem. I also tapped the Honeywell Gas valve in case it was stuck but to no avail.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A REPAIR MANUAL WITH STEP BY STEP PICTURES SHOWING TERMINALS AND VOLTAGE READINGS? THANKS.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-08, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You want to take a voltmeter and see when you get that last click, when you think you should be getting that swoosh of gas, to see if you have 24 volts at the main valve (MV) terminals on the gas valve. If you don't, the board is probably bad, or if you are lucky, that glowing ignitor may not be glowing as strong as it should, and might need a new one. You could disconnect the wires to that and ohms test it and see what you got. I have heard that 65ohms and less is good and have also heard anything under 100ohms is usually okay. It's also possible you have some gas obstruction in the vicinity of the ignitor also.

Old 03-20-08, 05:05 PM
Red face Weather King 90RJ gas furnace does not ignite

I want to thank you for your advise. It turns out I had a intermitant break between the wire and spade connector that brings 24 VAC to the pressure differential switch before going on to the gas solenoid valve. It had fatigued right where it was crimped to the wire. It was not noticeable until I pulled on it and then it just fell apart. I am still trying to get a Weather King repair manual through an authorized HVAC contractor since they will not sell manuals or parts to homeowners. It is hard to find their website but the best contact for them is:
WEATHER KING / ICECO
5600 OLD GREENWOOD ROAD
FORT SMITH, AR 72903
(479) 646-4311 ASK FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE