venting a Rheem furnace

Old 03-16-08, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question venting a Rheem furnace

We are getting ready to install a Rheem Criterion furnace, RGPH-10EAMER. It is older, but we are wondering if it can be vented out the side of the house with PVC, (it does have a draft inducer blower) like a power vent, or if we would have to use double wall from the basement and straight up through the attic and out? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-08, 12:46 AM
Furnace help

If it is a 90 plus furnace it will have pvc fittings at the top of the furnace and you can use pvc out a sidewall if it is an 80% furnce you will have to use double wall metal and you can vent it out a sidewall if 1. you are within 10' of the outside wall or 2. you have a fan assisted draft which requires interlocking with the control circuit to tell the furnace the fan is running before it will heat.

Old 03-17-08, 10:46 AM
You cannot use PVC with this furnace. The temperature of the combustion gases is too high for PVC

As per Mfr., this furnace is a Category-I induced draft appliance (80% EFFICIENCY).
A Cat-I appliance can be vented as follows: 1- either with single-wall metal vent connectors to a lined brick chimney, or 2- by using type B-1 vent pipe (double-wall metal vent connectors) going straight up in the absence of a chimney.

Old 03-17-08, 11:09 AM
Question Help

The furnace we have now is only 80% effecient and it is vented out the side of our home with PVC and it has been since we moved in nearly three years ago - is this safe?

Old 03-17-08, 12:04 PM
There was this venting material (looks like PVC but it's not), I cannot remember the name now (will find out), that is being recalled b/c even though was supposedly fire-rated it did not deliver what promised, which was safe pathway for the combustion gases.

An acquaintance of mine had it and is having it replaced. It was cracked all the way trhu (could not stand the heat).

The Criterion furnaces when originally built were not compatible with PVC. I would need to know what year yours was built to check the right specs and tell you for sure.
The newer criterion, I believe, are better and compatible with plastic vent. But I will know for sure if I know what year yours was manufactured.