RTH230B Programmable

Old 03-18-08, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RTH230B Programmable

Have a Coleman Evcon propane heater (mobile home) I hooked up a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat. I hooked up color by color as that is the way the original is hooked up. When the heater is prompted by the temp to kick on the FAN kicks on right away before the flame fires. The fan is supposed to wait until heat is built up. Jumper was positioned correctly although I did try to reverse...no change Something need to be reversed?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-08, 08:32 PM
Color code is not reliable to hook up thermostats. You should note what color wire was connected to what terminal...R,Rc, W,G, etc. and connect that wire to that label terminal on the new stat. Maybe that is what you did.

The jumper should be in the HG setting.

Can you give us a picture ...or describe....what wires you have connected to what terminals?

The fan start delay is controlled by the furnace, so the problem may or may not actually be with the t'stat. But do tell us how it is wired, so we can go from there.

Old 03-19-08, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm going off of memory here, so forgive me if I'm wrong. But does the new thermostat have a switch on the back or on the subbase that has positions marked "elect/gas" or similar? Some of these stats are designed to be compatable with electric furnaces where the blower is triggered "on" by the thermostat rather than by a controller in the furnace. Check your Honeywell installation instructions to see if they made mention of a hidden switch to differentiate between gas/oil and electric heat applications.

Old 03-19-08, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by diybarbs View Post
I hooked up color by color as that is the way the original is hooked up.
How many wires did you have there?

When the heater is prompted by the temp to kick on the FAN kicks on right away before the flame fires
Did you follow the set up manual to match your t-stat to gas heat?

The fan is supposed to wait until heat is built up. Jumper was positioned correctly although I did try to reverse...no change Something need to be reversed?
What jumper are you talking about?? Only jumper is Rc/Rh is used.

On the furnace do you have A/C? On old stat, did you control the system at the t-stat or switch on the furnace?

Old 03-19-08, 01:24 PM
Rth230b

OK all here goes.. there are 4 wires in wall (green, white red, yellow) . The original thermostat is an Evcon. On the inside cover it says Evcon 7990-368. There are 4 wires coming out of original thermostat which match the 4 colors in wall and that is exactly how they were hooked up. They disappear behind a little circuit board so there are no terminal IDs. Heater is a Coleman DGAT056BDF. I don't have air but it is "set up for it". A built in coil cabinet so it says. P.S. I am in a mobile home and heat is propane . I have a blower that blows through ducts so I guess it is forced air. As for the new thermostat there is a little jumper wire between the "Rh" and "Rc" terminals (so just blower will work) I know about the switch between electric and gas and that was correct although I did reverse just as a test. I hooked up new one as Red to Rh-Rc (jumped together) white to white, yellow to yellow and green to green. Also when I did hook this up I originally just turned the fan switch to "on" and it did indeed come on so I know I am not totally off

Old 03-19-08, 01:27 PM
On his t'stat there is a jumper plug on the board to set for electric furnace or gas heat. He has that in the gas position.

Old 03-19-08, 01:32 PM
Thermostat

found another label on thermostat. It says Type 1C26-15. It is just a 4 inch square thing.

P.S. I am wondering ..... on new therm white is heating signal and yellow is cooling signal...if wires are reversed and heating signal is going out the cooling signal wire will it trigger an immediate blower response... although the heater does fire about 20 secs or so after blower start up

Old 03-19-08, 02:15 PM
If the signal was going out to the "cool" relay in the furnace, the heater wouln't come on at all. But if you look at the wiring diagram of the stat, it shows that the W wire should connect to the "heat relay" in the furnace. It is that relay which is the time delay. Nothing in the stat affects the delay. Did the delay work before you put in the new stat? We know that mobile homes sometimes have "funny" stuff. The next piece of info you probably need is a wire diagram and service manual for the furnace. It does seem that the wiring to the new stat is correct.

Old 03-19-08, 03:32 PM
More Info

I looked up your old stat the 1C26-15. That is an obsolete White Rogers item, discontiunued with no known replacement. It was manufacured specifically for the Coleman Evcon. It may well operate differently than a conventional heat/cool stat like that Honeywell you have. I think you need to contact Coleman, if they are still around. At the least, look to see if there is some kind of wiring diagram of the furnace.

Old 03-20-08, 01:05 PM
Rth230b

Ok well here's what I did. I knew that the green wire was the fan switch. I simply disconnected it and guess what...worked perfectly. For some reason this thermostat is sending a fan start signal out to the fan through the green wire at the same instant the thermostat signals the heater to fire through the white wire.

P.S. I alternately disconnected white and yellow wires to verify if they were what I thought they were. They were.

I knew I couldn't hurt anything

Old 03-20-08, 05:03 PM
Ok, I pulled up the manual for this stat, and on Step 2.4, is the jumper wire set to HG?

Old 03-21-08, 07:01 AM
Rth230b

yes jumper was set to HG all along (although I tried the other way just as a test. Right now it is working OK with the green wire disconnected although the "fan on" won't work by itself. I've never used this in my life anyway. I really don't see a use for it.

Old 03-21-08, 07:30 AM
Glad that you are up an running. I think the root cause is that the Honeywell tstat is not "compatible" with that Coleman furnace. There has to be a reason why White Rogers identifies "no known replacement" for your unit. They make a gazillion models, and almost always, an obsolete model has a suitable replacement identified. The issue is the furnace.

It seems that you have fixed up a "work around". Not knowing anything about the furnace, it is hard to tell if there are any potential pitfalls. Obvioulsly, you could not hook up air conditioning. I would still try to contact Coleman, if they are still around, or a good HVAC tech who works on mobile homes, to follow up on what you have.

Old 03-21-08, 09:33 AM
Do you have A/C on this? If so, you are going to need the G wire to run the fan in Cool mode.

If you have A/C, would try to replace this stat.

Old 03-21-08, 11:19 AM
Coleman

Apparently Coleman is very much still around. (On the internet and some references in phone book) I am really not too worried about it. I don't have A/C so it isn't really a problem. As far as compatability the way I see it no matter what brand at all it is hooked up to as long as a signal is sent out the "G" wire at start up it is going to trigger the blower to start. Anyway I still have the original which still works fine. I just thought I'd be fancy and get a better one that I can program to automatically drop temp during day when I am not there. ( I bump it way down everyday upon leaving for work) Sometime in the near future I am going to have the whole system looked by a "pro" so I will have him check it out. Thanks for the help everyone

Old 03-24-08, 04:33 PM
RTH230B bad unit

FYI...Contacted Honeywell and he had me run through a few troubleshooting tests. Sure enough the new unit was malfunctioning. Took it back and got a replacement and everything works perfectly. Now it does not kick on blower immediately...waits for the heater circuit to do so. And blower "on" switch works also

Old 04-01-08, 05:13 AM
I have a problem with the unit this guy was replacing (EVCON 7990-368, Type 1C26-15). As of 3 days ago it seems to be malfunctioning (The heat won't turn on no matter where I set the temperature at). I can get it to turn on briefly (not long enough for the air to heat up though) by flipping the Heat/Off/Cool switch to Off and then back to Heat. I got it to work yesterday by moving a 'metal arm' inside the unit around and then moving the temperature control back and forth many times, but it has now stopped working again.

Anyone have some advice, besides replacing it?

Old 04-04-08, 03:57 PM
Anyone, anyone at all?

Old 04-05-08, 01:17 PM
Evcon 7990-368

My programmable is now working fine now that I replaced the bad unit. There was nothing wrong with my original..I thought I'd just get fancy. Although not an expert (as you can tell) I would try replacing the thermostat itself. I believe any thermostat whether electronic or basic will work

Old 10-16-08, 12:11 PM
Hello,
I just bought this model, and am trying to convert from a carrier thermostat. On the old Carrier, it has 6 wires labeled O, G, R, C, Y, and the last 2 are W2 and E and are linked together. The new Honeywell RTH230B thermostat only has Rh, Rc, W, Y, and G. Not sure what goes where. Please help!

Thanks