Goodman Furnace Trouble

Old 03-22-08, 07:10 AM
F
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Goodman furnace trouble

Hello,

I have a "Goodman GMP100-3 REV B" gas furnace, which had been working perfectly fine until last week, when I heard a squeaking sound coming from inside the furnace. So I went to look. After I had poked around inside, I discovered that the squeaking was coming from the “draft inducer”. I decided to try to clean and oil the moving parts. After I was done with that, the furnace worked for about a week. After that week, it stopped working again, so I oiled it again.

Two days later…

It stops working. This time the fan spins freely, until I turn on the motor, at which point it spins for about 1-2 seconds, then makes a grinding noise before stopping. I’m not sure, but I think that the fan may be off balance (because it visibly wobbles before stopping).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Jay11J; 03-22-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-22-08, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say sounds more like the bearings are out on the motor. With the motor off can you like lift the fan up and down

Old 03-22-08, 01:45 PM
I am with Ed.

Question, is that oil on the burner shield from the inducer motor oiling job you did? If so, get the cleaned up! You'll be having some smoke coming out of the burner area when that gets hot.

Old 03-22-08, 04:50 PM
F
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Question, is that oil on the burner shield from the inducer motor oiling job you did? If so, get the cleaned up! You'll be having some smoke coming out of the burner area when that gets hot.
No, it's just a discoloration that has been there for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Id say sounds more like the bearings are out on the motor. With the motor off can you like lift the fan up and down
Yes, I can. I just took off the part, opened it up, and saw what looks like shredded metal that appeared to be the remains of what I think was something related to the bearings.

Do you think I'll be able to find just the bearings, or will I have to replace the whole unit?

Old 03-22-08, 06:57 PM
S
You will have to replace at least the inducer motor and probably the wheel as wheel.

Old 03-25-08, 08:46 AM
F
Thanks for all the help, I've got the furnace up and running now!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: