New water heater exhaust question?>>

Old 04-01-08, 09:12 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New water heater exhaust question?>>

Hello there...

I am upgrading my natural gas water heater in my 45 year old bungalow. My furnace and water heater exhaust out the same chimney.

The problem I am having is that my old water heater has a 3 inch chimney and my new one is a 4 inch? Can I just replace the existing 6 x 5 x 3 double wall tee with a new 6 x 5 x 4 double wall tee?

My furnace states it has a:
94,500 hourly btu input and Bonnet cap'y 75600 btu per hr

and the new water heater is a:
50,000 btu/hr =input.

Do I need to be concerned whether the 6 inch chimney has enough capacity as well?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-08, 11:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
T ??? do you perhaps mean "Y"?

Your new water heater should have come with a manual from AGA/GAMA (Vent Sizing Tables), which is to be used anytime you're dealing with "Cat-I" gas-firing appliances (if your furnace and new water heater are indeed Cat-I --> atmospheric + noncondensing)

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Seatt...pendix%20B.pdf

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

Match in the tables your existing configuration (single/double-wall connectors...masonry/B-vent chimney...atmospheric v. fan-assist appliances, etc) and the tables will show you required rise off the flue collar, size and permitted length for vent connectors, as well as capacity of the common vent or chimney.

If either one of those two appliances are of the high efficiency type (not Cat-I), you must follow the Mfr's installation instructions.

Old 04-01-08, 11:34 AM
C
Yikes - I have no clue what any of that meant....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: