Help! Amana furnace, no heat, red light blinks 3 times, fan works.

Old 04-09-08, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Amana furnace, no heat, red light blinks 3 times, fan works.

Amana Gas Furnace. Furnace blower appears to work, but no heat. 3 Blinking red lights. I googled this, someone said 3 lights can mean:

1. The exterior vent pipe is blocked.
2. The pressure switch is bad or wired wrong
3. The ventor is clogged or jammed.

Attempted some cleaning with shop vac to see if there was an obstruction. When shop vac was stuck into exhaust vent pipe, the furnace kicks on. As soon as I take it out, it shuts off. Not sure what the problem is, but I would like it resolved today if I can possibly do it.

If not, I'll call a pro, but since I'll be calling out of the phone book, I want to minimize the chance of being ripped off by at least seeming knowledgeable. We really can't afford this right now....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-08, 06:48 PM
What do you mean by the furnace blower?
the big blower that brings air thru the registers in the house?
or perhaps the little one that moves air to the combustion chamber?

And what do you mean when you say that it appears to work? Does it work or not?

From the description you write, the inducer blower (also called "combustion blower") seems to be the problem. It may be dead.

What is the FULL Model Number of this furnace?

Old 04-10-08, 04:15 AM
Model is Amana 80 High Efficiency
GUI0904F
Serial 9407181741

I probably did not use the right terms, but the bottomline is that the furnace kicked on when the shop vac was stuck in. Shut back off the minute it was removed.

Old 04-10-08, 08:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are overcoming something in the drafting of the furnace. Shop vacs are very powerful suction. You could have something wrong in vent, furnace, inducer, or pressure switch as stated.

Let's just take one thing and say the pressure switch had a slight diaphram leak. Under normal inducer drafting it may not be enough to overcome, so the furnace does not fire up. But the shop vac is enough to overcome it. Same with all the other things mentioned.

I have to go to work and haven't the time to start in on item by item tests.

When I heard about the vacuum cleaner test I thought how novel and clever, but at same time apprehensive of possible unburned gases hitting sparks of motor in shop vac. Not sure of any threat from spent gases though. We have discussed this same scenario when using shop vacs to suck in house plumbing drain lines and pulling methane gas into the vacuum.

Old 04-10-08, 02:30 PM
Could you post a few pics? in particular of the controls in the furnace.

I have an schematic that "might" be the one for your furnace. Pics would help determine for sure if it is a match, and would help me guide you.

Old 04-19-08, 04:54 PM
Thumbs up I have seen this problem a number of times.

Do the following checks.

1. Is the draft inducer running and not making any unusual noises?
2. Is there any restriction on the intake air?
If both of these are o.k., then it is most likely a bad pressure switch. The manufacturers of the pressure switches have made them cheaper and less reliable in the last few years and they seem to fail more often. It is not an expensive part and it is safe for you to try because if the problem is else ware the new switch will not cause another problem. Make sure that you replace it with the exact pressure switch as it requires from the manufacturer as there are many different pressure settings on different switches.

John S.