transformer failures

Old 04-20-08, 10:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
transformer failures

Hey

I have a Beckett AFG oil burner in my house. Last year or the year before the transformer failed and a tech replaced it. It was a Beckett Model BLL101 10kV. The tech swapped in a Beckett 51771U which just failed last week. I put a screwdriver on the springs and there was no spark so I went to the store and got a new one installed it and I had fire again.

Are these 2 different transformers direct swap parts or should I expect my new one to fail in a 2009 too? Thanks for any tips.

Old 04-21-08, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Ignition Transformer Failures

The 51771U is the electronic replacement for the old 10 kV iron core. Make sure the furnace is properly grounded & scratch some paint off of the transformer around the screw holes where is mounts to the burner chassis. Bad grounds are a common cause for electronic parts failure.

Old 04-28-08, 06:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
The 51771U is the electronic replacement for the old 10 kV iron core. Make sure the furnace is properly grounded & scratch some paint off of the transformer around the screw holes where is mounts to the burner chassis. Bad grounds are a common cause for electronic parts failure.
I'm guessing it was an old iron core because it is heavy!!

Thanks Grady!

Old 04-29-08, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Iron Core vs. Electronic

Iron cores are far more forgiving of incoming voltage fluctuations. I have some very rural accounts where voltage fluctuations are a problem & have had to use iron core transformers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: