Ran out of oil

Old 04-21-08, 04:47 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ran out of oil

Like a dummy, I forgot to order oil...again. Last time, it cost around 50 bucks to have the oil guy come out to bleed the system to get it fired up. I would rather not pay that, the wife is already mad enough at me. Anyone done that before? It is a Weil-MacLean oil furnace, about 10 years old.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-08, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Weil-McLain

W/M uses Suntec pumps. There is a small fitting which looks like a grease fitting or one used to bleed brakes. It is located at the lower left on the pump. You will need a 3/8" wrench & a can or bottle. Hold the container on the fitting to catch oil. Press the reset button & open the bleeder port. When you get a flow of oil with no foam or air, close the bleeder & the burner should fire. If the safety trips before you get a good stream of oil, quickly close the bleeder & wait a minute or two before trying again.

Old 04-21-08, 07:01 PM
C
Thanks Grady. I must have got lucky. I got oil delivered today while I was at work, thinking that I had run out. I got home at 8pm tonight, and the furnace was working. Didn't need to bleed...it's a beautiful thing.

Old 04-22-08, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
ChipJ29

You may want to print out those instructions in case you do need them some time.

Old 04-23-08, 06:06 AM
C
Originally Posted by Grady
You may want to print out those instructions in case you do need them some time.
Already done that...and printed out something else I found in a google search too. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: