LOUD RELAY??

Old 11-12-00, 07:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an electric furnace which I guess to be about 25 years old. From what I can tell, it was made by Snyder General Corp., MODEL U24A11. When the thermostat triggers the furnace to "kick on", a VERY LOUD pop occurs (I think to be a relay),the furnace fires the heating coils, blower fan starts and everything performs normally. What can I do to lessen the ABNORMALLY LOUD POP when the furnace first comes on?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-00, 09:45 PM
Visiting Guest
The switch that is noisy could be a contactor.

There is a sequencer switch available from Honeywell that can turn on three stages of heat and the blower. There are other sequencers out there but I have found this to be a Good One. Because of all the Electric Power in the furnace I would recommend calling yor service company.
Good Luck
Mr Foster

Old 11-13-00, 04:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Mr Foster,

Thanks for the reply! My wife just had a local contractor come by the house today and check out our electric furnace. According to my wife, contractor basically said that these type of furnaces generally display the loud kick characteristic and there is nothing he could do to alleviate the "problem". I will agree with him that this sound has consistently been there each of the four years that we have lived in our home. My wife and I both agree, however, that the "pop" has gotten increasingly louder during that time. We have an eleven month old daughter and since we have been using the furnace this year, she has not been sleeping through the night. I would attribute her sleeping problems to the loud contactor as well. I am still inclined to believe that my issue can be addressed, but the local professional doesn't encourage that idea. If the sequencer you mentioned is not too expensive, I would consider trying it. If it didn't resolve my problem, I may explore the purchase of a more up to date furnace. I would assume some of the newer electric models would be substantially quieter. A Natural Gas model is not an option for me. Although I like the idea of repairing my existing furnace, could you recommend a new/quiet model with a competitive price?

Thanks,
Bbunch

Old 11-14-00, 07:47 PM
Visiting Guest
BBunch,
If the noise is from the blower you will hear it when you turn the fan switch at the thermostat on. If thats the noise there are a lot quiter furances today.
If you do replace the electric furnace look into the VARIABLE SPEED MODELS sometimes referred to as INFINATE SPEED MODELS or DC MOTOR units. These start very quitely. They cost a little more up front but the motor draws 80 to 100 watts of power.
If the noise is only during the heating, try the sequencer.
Good Luck
Mr Foster