heat pump question

Old 11-17-00, 07:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently moved to a new home in southeast PA with a Janitrol heat pump system (my first heat pump). I understand that when outside temp is near freezing, the heat pump is worthless and resorts to the electric furnace as a backup. My question is, does this take place automatically or must I manually switch the stat to emergency? Will the pump run in either case? We've had temps much below freezing over the past month and I've yet to see the emerg light on and the pump runs every time. It continues to produce warm air and keeps the house comfortable so I'm assuming the furnace elements are being used (I guess the electric meter would confirm this).
Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-00, 07:22 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Sounds as though your pump is running fine. As for the HP worthless at lower temps...That's not true. An HP that is set up right will keep you warm. The stat will automatically switch on the 2nd stage/emergancy heat. Em. heat on your stat will shut down the heat pump and use only your electic.

Old 11-18-00, 06:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the heat pump is working fine.
You will get less heat as the temp outside drops near zero, as it gets colder the thermostat should turn on the back up heat as the heatpump cannot keep up.