explosive bang noise!

Old 11-16-00, 10:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My old house is heated with an old electric oil furnace which has a new motor. My problem is the loud explosive bang in my pipes once the furnace shuts off about five minutes after heating the house. There are also knocking noises in the radiators when the furnace turns on. What is this? Is there anything that I can do about this? Your response is much appreciated.

Old 11-18-00, 06:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Need more information. I understand you have an oil heating unit. Could you be heating water or steam to the pipes and radiators? Or do you have a blower motor and filter?

Old 11-18-00, 12:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My furnace is heating water to the pipes and radiators. There is a knocking sound in the pipes when the furnace turns on to heat the house and when the furnace is done and shuts off, I would say about twenty minutes after there is this explosive bang in pipes right under my dining room area.

Old 11-18-00, 03:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Good, I now understand it a Boiler not a furnace. The Noise,
Watch the pressure at the boiler, if it is getting higher than 30 psi, the releif valve should go off. If it is going higher shut the boiler off and call the service man.
The pump on the boiler can make noises if the coupler is starting to break, can also make noise if air has cavitated in the impeller it could reck the impeller.
Sometimes pipes can make noises if the plpe fitter didn't use 45 to create expansion joints. Pipes can also make noise if it were a steam boiler and the pitch of the pipes were wrong.
You can get what sounds like water running trough the pipes but really is air.
The boiler temp could be too high design is 180 deg.
Thats to name a few.
Good Luck
Mr Foster

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: