Modernizing air return in 1950's house

Old 11-27-00, 09:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently bought a home built in the 1950's. The previous owner installed a new HVAC unit and ran new duct and registers throughout house. However, he left the old air return that is laid into the floor. I want to remove that air return and put in a modern one. I don't know what size i need nor do I know where I can purchase this product. Can anyone help? Thanks

Old 11-27-00, 05:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Greetings!
I will suppose for now that you are speaking of the return register itself. If so most any HVAC supply house can help you.
If not E-me at Kooleair@cs.com and I will assist any way I can.
TIM G.

Old 11-28-00, 03:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:redstripe

If the current air intake discribed in your posting is located in the floor, it may have been where the prior floor furnace was located.

You may be able to determine this by it's size and location. If it's about 18/24 inches wide and 30/36 inches long and possibly located centrally in the house, in a hallway closest to the bedrooms or on both sides of a room divider wall, it may have been a floor furnace.

The above, of course, is purely a guess. What may help us to better help you, is to know where the current furnace is located? <Roof? Closet? Garage? Attic? Underhouse?>

Locating the new air intake may depend on where available space is for the new intake register and new ducting. Best place is almost always in the center or as close to center of the house as possible.

Keep the ceiling in a hallway in mind for that possible new location if the furnace is in the attic or on the roof.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural gas energy consultant and appliance technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: