Advice on a new heating/AC system

Old 05-15-08, 06:50 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on a new heating/AC system

I'm thinking about getting a new heating and air system, but since I don't know much about it, I'd rather not just rely on the opinion of contractors as to what I need. So if anyone has some advice, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

I have a brick ranch built in 1966 with 1226 sq. ft. No idea how old the AC unit is, it's outside and all the numbers have worn off, and the gas heating unit is a horizontal unit, 12 years old in the crawlspace, vented to a chimney. I don't know the condition of the ductwork. I've got pretty good insulation in the attic, poor in the walls, harwood floors, storm windows (12) and a sliding glass door.

The heating bills in the winter with the unit set for 65 degrees average about $250 and in the summer I tend to open windows or just leave it set for 78 and I average around $100.

I live in eastern NC so it's pretty hot in the summer and the winters get down into the 30s for a couple of months.

That's about it but if anyone needs more information, just ask. I'm not really looking to buy just yet, though I know Trane has some rebates going on right now. Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-15-08, 07:45 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Eastern carolina GO HEELS! Anyway If it where mine I might skip the gas and go with a heat pump! Cheaper heat but not as hot! Best of both worlds would be a gas unit with a heat pump. Heat pump run tell it get to 35 outside then the gas kicks in for the heat. Id also go with at least a 15 seer electricity prices will be the next thing to start going up so start preparing now.

Old 05-16-08, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Heat & A/C

The first thing you need to do is determine how much heating & cooling you need. This is done via a load calculation program often called "manual J". There is an excellent one available online from http://hvaccomputer.com.
The cost is around $50 but will be the best $50 you spend on the project.

Old 05-18-08, 12:49 PM
Good point, just would like to add:
In you climate a 13 or better heat pump system would be best. Many 14 SEER units are now comp in price to the 13 SEERs, but when you get higher, the price difference may be tough to offset by the savings in energy costs.

Make sure you get quality equipment with a good warranty. Most of the products from Trane, American Standard, Carrier and a few others are worth the extra $.

If you need supplemental heat for colder temps, you can either go with back-up electric heat in the air handler, of a gas furnace to come on during those colder times. Again, thought should be given to how much your supp heat will be in use to help decide which method is better for you. ( If you only use back-up heat during a half-dozen days when the heat pump drops below the balance point, it's difficult to justify a whole back-up heating system like a gas furnace, rather that a couple of hundred extra $'s to put in strip heat package in the air handler)

Also ask about variable speed for your air handler, as this option helps deal with the high summer humidity and softens the temperature swings in both heating & cooling modes.

Hope this helps

Old 07-23-08, 08:40 AM
M
I too am looking for cost estimate for a Trane 2.5 tone split system. Anyone got an idea how much it will cost excluding the installation of ducts?

The home is only 700 sq ft and will be all electric in Louisiana.

Old 07-24-08, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
2.5 Tons

Two and a half tons for 700 sq. ft. sounds like major overkill. Do the manual J. You may find you only need 1 instead of
2 tons. Even if you need as much as 2 tons, the cost savings in equipment alone will more than pay for the cost of the program.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: