Magic Chef - Armstrong Furance - Need Gas Valve ???

Old 05-20-08, 11:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magic Chef - Armstrong Furance - Need Gas Valve ???

Hi, I have a Magic Chef Furnace made by Armstrong, I think I need a new gas valve for it, the Robertshaw Control has been replaced ( the old one seem to work Ok but replace just in case) - the pilot light automatically lights and I see 25 VAC at the gas valve at two places - if you low the thermostat to not call for heat, the pilot light goes out the power shuts off to gas valve. So if I am correct I need a new gas valve.

Now the problem - the gas valve is a White Rogers Model 36C76 Type 224 - at the White Rogers Web site there is no replacement - its says call Armstrong OEM - so I called around and no one knows a replacement for this gas valve, so either I need a way to test this one to make sure it is the gas valve, or a replacement number for a gas valve, or a way to repair this one. I have the tools to disassemble the gas valve if need be, any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks, Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-08, 12:40 PM
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I don't understand the problem, or even if there is a problem.

What I am reading is that on a call for heat the pilot lights and that there is 25 volts at the main valve terminals. I also read that when the thermostat is lowered the pilot light goes out.

So, is the problem that the main valve does not open and therefore no main flame and no heat?

Approximately how old is this furnace? They don't last forever and the "normal" lifespan of a gas furnace is about 20 years, more or less. If this unit is significantly older than 20 years it may have a deteriorated heat exchanger and it may be allowing combustion gases into the home.

Old 05-21-08, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi

Hi, you are correct in what you are saying the gas valve does not open, so I am looking for a new replacement gas valve, the issue is White Rogers made this gas valve for Armstrong and they do not give a replacement number at there website, it says to go to Armstrong, I have called the Main Heating and Cooling dealers in this area, and when they go to look up the gas valve the find the same thing, I have not found any dealer for Armstrong yet, I have Emailed White Rogers asking for there help. The Furnace is less then 20 years old, I have checked the heat exchanger, fan, etc and clean it all out, it is in really good shape, I do not want to buy a new furnace just for a $100 gas valve due to Armstrong had them make a gas valve for them, and now they have made a Nightmare out of it due they want you to purchase it from them. Really good business practice. I ask some people at a HVAC site and they did not want to help, I just need a replacement gas valve number so I can purchase and install.

Old 05-21-08, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I got this information from a search. Armstrong is a division of Lennox, and was founded by Lennox in 1928. Lennox sold off Armstrong in 1957, but later re-acquired them again in 1988.

The address and phone number for Armstrong was given as:

Armstrong Air Conditioning, Inc.
421 Monroe Street
Bellevue, Ohio 44811

Phone 800-448-5872 x 2610

Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-08, 03:02 PM
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
You may just be out of luck. If I understand correctly the gas valve in question has a non-continuous spark ignited pilot and the pilot then lights the main burner.

Penn made a similar control although I think it was a retrofit unit to replace continuously burning pilots. It had a dual gas valve body and then the electronics portion in a box that bolted to the top of the gas valve. I replaced one about 12-15 years ago and I had to buy the two parts separately because the entire unit had been discontinued and the parts were only available for repair of existing units.

While I am unfamiliar with your particular valve the Penn unit had the first valve open to supply gas to the pilot. If your valve is similar this may be where you are measuring the 24 volts. The second gas valve (that feeds the main burner) would only open when the pilot was "proven" via the flame rod. Look for a small, stiff wire in the flame of the pilot. If you have this, clean it with a Scotchbrite pad and then try the furnace.