Payne Furnace - Blown Fuse?

Old 06-10-08, 06:03 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Payne Furnace - Blown Fuse?

I have a Payne furnace problem. Several months ago the furnace would not start. I could get the furnace to start by turning it off and then on. I also was running my thermostat (Honeywell) on a program. Finally I set the thermostat to hold temperature and for several weeks I did not have a problem. Eventually I started using the run program feature on the thermostat, and it worked well for nearly two months, and then the problem started two days ago.

So two days ago I couldn't get the furnace to come on by turning it off then on. Repair man came out and found a blown fuse. He said that they don't just blow, that there is a reason, but none that he could see. Well 2 days after he's gone, the furnace isn't turning on. I was able to turn it off/on and it is running. I set the thermostat to hold temperature again.

My question is, can the thermostat be going bad when in run program mode and that cause the furnace not to run, and eventually blow a fuse, or is the furnace controller board going bad, or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 06-10-08, 07:02 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A high amp draw (what would be at about the amp rating of the fuse itself), is what blows fuses. Thermostats act as switches, rather than as a resistor. Because of that, you can actually bridge thermostat wires together and not cause a short, because in essence that is what a thermostat does when it closes contacts between any two wire combinations. It just completes a circuit. On top of this, thermostat wires are low voltage, and I think would draw only 3 amps at full draw. (1/5 of 120 volts)

You may have a short in a motor, or a motor (bad bearings) sticking that does not freely turn.

It dawned on me that you never said which fuse blew, that furnace guy found blown. Was it the main furnace fuse? in the electrical box or a furnace switch box?, or a fuse on the control board rated at 3 amps? If it was a 3 amp one, then any number of things could have caused that to blow, I guess, beyond a high-draw item like the motor. Then a short in the low voltage could cause it to blow, also.

Old 06-10-08, 08:20 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a 3 amp fuse on the control board. However, the system will work for a few days, and previously had worked for a few months without any problems.

Today, it ran for a few hours, and then wouldn't run. I turned the furnace off, and then it started up again. Next time I'll note the flashing light codes. If I can.

Thanks,

Last edited by johton; 06-10-08 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-11-08, 04:19 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you know how your furncae is supposed to work - how it is supposed to sequence, then it would help if you were to say what it does or does not do. Then we might be able to help more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: