Installation of indoor wood furnace

Old 07-31-08, 05:07 PM
Installation of indoor wood furnace

Hi everyone. I am new to this website and have a few questions that hopefully I can get answered. I currently have a 2 zone, baseboard heat, oil fired furnace with 1 primary circulator pump. I purchased a wood furnace from a friend of mine, and plan on installing it myself. My questions are: the furnace has its inlet/outlet ports on the top and on the back. Does it matter which direction the water flows through the furnace? I would like the flow to come out the back of the wood furnace, into the back of the original furnace, up through that past the zone valves, and back into the top of the wood boiler. Thank you in advance for any info. Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wood fired boiler

First things first: Unless you have a double flue chimney, you will have to install a separate chimney for the wood fired boiler. It is unlawful & dangerous to vent a solid fueled appliance into the same chimney as is used for a fossil fueled appliance.

Regarding the piping, I suggest you contact the boiler manufacturer for a suggest piping diagram.

Old 08-04-08, 02:51 PM
I already had an insulated stainless steel chimney installed. I would love a piping diagram, except for the fact that the boiler is a 1981 model and the name is a Jensen. the model # is either 24b, 30b, or 36bw. All the research I have done leads me to believe that they changed their name to Ashley. I tried finding a manual online with no luck. any suggestions on how to obtain a manual or diagram for this model would be nice also.

Last edited by Dirtsnowman; 08-04-08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Piping Diagram

You might want to look at diagrams from other boilers of similar design & with similar controls. Never having worked on anything like that, I'm afraid I won't be much help in that area. You might also want to post your question(s) in the forum which deals with fireplaces, wood stoves, etc. Here's a link: http://forum.doityourself.com/forumd...sprune=-1&f=56

Old 09-13-08, 06:45 PM
Dirtsnowman, I have the manuals you are looking for. I just scanned most of the diagram sections, but I can't post it. Let me know how I can get in touch with you and I will email it.

Old 10-21-08, 06:04 PM
I am also looking for an owners manual for the Jensen Wood Boiler. I bought one used and I am trying to install it at my house. The building inspector said he has to see the manufacturers recommendations because he won't believe me that it is to be installed indoors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-11-08, 08:36 AM
Hi Dirtsnowman, new to this website but joined after I saw your question about the wood boiler. We also bought an older Jensen and live next door in Canterbury. Any pointers on the installation? thanks. David

Old 11-13-08, 12:01 PM
Bancmatt

Hi, I just recieved an old wood boiler from a friend. It has 3 sets of coils each with an in and an out. I have the chimney hooked and am pretty well versed in the plumbing end of the installation; but need advise on how to limit the supply and return temp.

I was told that regulating h20 temp by using a flue damper hooked to a aquastat was the wrong approach. THey said I need to regulate the air intake w/ a fan and louver set up would do the job. IF I can get one of these I would need to cut a hole in my woodboiler door and weld this fan and louver set up on. Anyone know where I can get a fan and louver that can be connected to an aquastat?