Oil Furnace Won't Turn on Automatically for Hot Water

Old 08-09-08, 05:04 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil Furnace Won't Turn on Automatically for Hot Water

We have a 19 year old Burnham oil furnace RSM-126. It will not turn on automatically for hot water. We have to keep hitting the start button. This problem started after we had the water and furnace turned off for 2 weeks while we were on vacation. Any suggestions on what can be wrong?

Old 08-10-08, 05:40 AM
Hello

If you are talking about the red reset button, the problem is with you oil burner, and unless you know anything about oil burners, I would recommend calling your burner tech.

Old 08-10-08, 09:50 AM
L
I would like to fix this problem myself if possible. I cleaned the unit by taking the top off and vacuumed out the flew and the exhaust tubes. Any other suggestions on what else I can check?

Old 08-10-08, 10:04 AM
Ok, first off, if you used your house vacuum, you probably just ruined it. Hopefully it was at least a shop vac.

How bad was the soot? Was it really light and fluffy black soot? Or white and hard?

Like I said earlier, the problem is in the burner, not the boiler.

The only things you can check or do would be change the oil filter, Clean the electrodes, and possibly replace the nozzle.
To check the pump pressure or the transformer, you need special equipment.

We already know you have power, and oil, but the oil could be restricted form either a dirty filter, dirty pump strainer, plugged oil line or kinked oil line. Cleaning out an oil line requires special tools also.

Are you really ready for the challenge?

Old 08-10-08, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Have to Reset

Having to hit the reset button is a fairly common symptom. The hard part is tracking down "why". Here's a simple test to help determine if the burner is actually trying to start: The next time you reset it, right after the burner starts open the observation door (usually a flap which swings out of the way) & look at the flame. Make mental note of how big & what color the flame is. Let the burner run about 5 minutes & look at the flame again. If there is a signifcant change in shape & color, you are likely burning off excess oil. No change would mean the motor is possibly the problem.

Old 08-21-08, 10:24 AM
L
Just want to send an update that I resolved the problem with my furnace. After cleaning the nozzle twice and the air intake around the nozzle all seems to be working perfectly for the past week. It seems to have been a combustion problem. Thank you for your help.

Old 08-21-08, 08:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Working "Perfectly"

I fully understand your desire to save money by servicing the boiler yourself but I encourage you to have it checked by a professional. The cost would likely be recovered (and then some) in oil savings. A professional will have test equipment to set up the burner for maximum efficiency. The exhaust should also be tested for carbon monoxide. An oil fired appliance which is properly set up will produce little CO. One set up improperly can kill you.

Old 08-24-08, 07:02 PM
L
Will it heat the house? Or is it JUST hot water?

Old 01-06-09, 10:15 PM
J
help!

Originally Posted by lifer
will it heat the house? Or is it just hot water?
bouth, and i oready change the filter and even that it is turning off every couple minutes. Also letf the air get off throu the little scrow. Thank you very much for your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: