Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Which filters to choose for 2 new Trane XV95 gas furnaces to be installed soon

Old 08-18-08, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Installer recommends Trane Pure Air systems 16x25x5 for extra $340 (each) explaining that I'll save a lot of many on filters in a long run as I would need to replace it ($55) once a year.
My question: what's wrong with standard 1" filters? They are
much cheaper and no additional costs for extra systems.
We have no allergies, no carpets at home and the air here is very clean.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-08, 11:06 AM
Keeping the room air clean is important but a more important reason to clean the air is to keep the equipment clean. I use the 1" disposible HEPA filters and change them twice a year. So far, in almost 10 yrs of service, I've had virtually no dust buildup on the airhandler or fan scroll in my house. I don't have A/C in my house but the units I've seen in houses using HEPA filters tend to have much cleaner evaporator coils.

Old 08-19-08, 07:34 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
1st they don't make a one inch HEPA filter. 2nd id go with a space guard it is still a media filter than can go up to a year to change (But should be changed every 6 mounths). It will be cheaper and has a lower ESP.

Old 08-20-08, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
1st they don't make a one inch HEPA filter. 2nd id go with a space guard it is still a media filter than can go up to a year to change (But should be changed every 6 mounths). It will be cheaper and has a lower ESP.
You're right, my bad! I should have said HEPA "quality" filter. Nevertheless, I've had very good service with these.

http://www.air-purifier-home.com/azfilters/

Old 08-20-08, 10:33 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
That is a merv 12 filter. It is very restrictive. Don't like to see over a merv 7 in a one inch filter.

Old 08-20-08, 10:45 AM

I have good luck with the 8 Merv filters that I get in the green 3 pack at HD (I hate to give HD good publicity!!!). They are 1" pleated, are cheap and readily available. I do change monthly, but we have two large long haired cats and run the fans almost constantly. - No room between the furnace return and water heater for a thicker filter.

Dick

Old 08-22-08, 03:39 PM
If you must stay with the 1" filter, I agree with Dick, go with the HD 3-pack Natural Air filter.

If you want a better filter and only change it once or twice a year, then go with a Media Filter like Honeywell F100/200 media filter or Aprilaire Media filter.

I perfer the Media, I've seen too many people let the 1" go to long and plugs up.

Do you know what you are getting for a thermostat?