Advice on Amana, Bryant, Trane furnaces

Old 08-27-08, 02:16 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Advice on Amana, Bryant, Trane furnaces

The home we bought 6 years ago has a Tempstar furnace in it that failed the yearly check up yesterday.
The "furnace guy" recommended an Amana AMV9, 90,000BTU furnace that is rated at 96% efficiency, it's a variable speed gas unit. Fully installed, he quoted us $4450.00, and that's for the 2008 model, all labor and taxes included.
From reading through here, I'm thinking that's a little high. This company offers 10 year parts and labor warranty included, Amana warrants the heat exchanger for life, all other parts 5 years.

I like a lot of the features on the Amana, it has the Million-air heat exchanger that seems like a good idea...only from reading, no experience here. Also like the variable speeds and we would get the programmable thermostat.

Also have been reading online about Bryants (my dad has one) and Trane.

Bryant's Evolution Systems sound like similar features to Amana, but I don't have a price.

I like the air cleaning system on the Trane the best, am shying away from the one that fits the Amana. Again, don't have a price.

What would be a reasonable installed price for the Amana?? Would the Bryant be in the same price range, and is it a better furnace?
Please any help/opinions, ballpark figures would be helpful to this Mom who doesn't know much about heating!

I am torn--if this is a good system and an ok price, I'll stay with it, but seems to me there should be some SHOPPING, but I am not familiar enough with heating to know what's what...although I am a quick study!
We have an AC unit that is fine, does not need to be replaced.
Live around Pittsburgh, PA, 2 story house with around 18 windows, built in the 1930's.
Thanks for reading, and for any help you can give.

Last edited by relang7; 08-27-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 07:27 PM
What did they find wrong with the old furnace?

Amana are Ok, there is nothing wrong with them.. As long the dealer has done a Manual-J (Sizing) on your home for the furnace, and do the install right, it will be good.

It won't hurt to get a bid or two to find out what the other guys are coming back at for price.

If you are comfortable with the dealer you are using now, stay with him.

Do you know if you are getting a two stage stat to match the furnace?

As for air cleaner, stay with the 4" media air filter like Honeywell F200 or F100, or Aprilaire Media.

Old 08-28-08, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Equipment Brands

For the most part there is not a huge difference in equipment from one manufacturer to the next. Installation is the key.

Old 08-28-08, 11:08 PM
Points already mentioned are good ones. Manual J heat loss/load calculation (This is not a walk and look type thing, Manual J takes door, window, room measurements, insulation is taken into account, etc.) - critical for a comfortable and properly sized unit. Installation is everything, brands not so much, so a reputable company is a must.

And I am a heavy second on the idea of going with a media filter instead of the Trane one you have heard about, the CleanEffects I believe. They produce ozone and I believe media is more effective in removing particulate matter.

It's always good to get 3 bids for the job.

Also, programmable thermostat is good, and variable speed furnace is nice to have.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: