LP Gas line hook up for wall heaters

Old 09-05-08, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LP Gas line hook up for wall heaters

Hi. I want to know if I can run a 1/2 Copper line from UNDER the regulator on one building to another building. The line will come from the house LP tank to the first building go into the regulator and used for a wall heater. I want to Tee off under the regulator run the gas line to another building and hook it up to another wall heater. I think it will have to go to another regulator then to the wall heater. Thanks.
Jerald

PS. The LP tank is used for my house furnace, I want to run the line to two more buildings for heat they are 100 ft from my house. JT

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 03:11 PM
If I understand your question, the answer should be yes.

It sounds like your system currently has a 1st stage regulator at the tank. This first stage reg should be supplying either 5 or 10 pounds. At the house there should be a 2nd stage regulator supplying 1/2 pound.

If this is the case you need to make sure of a few things:

1) the existing underground gas line will supply an additional load.

2) the new proposed gas line will be sufficiently sized to handle the load of the space heater.

While I don't have my line size chart handy I did a google search and come up with a chart that says a 100 foot run of 1/2 inch copper tubing will supply 365K BTU's off a 10 PSIG with a 1 PSIG pressure drop.

Based on that, your plan should work depending on the distance and diameter of the existing gas line from tank to building.

Another comment in burying copper tubing....

Burying bare copper tubing is a no no. It needs to be either coated or sleeved. Minerals in the soil can deteriorate the copper over time.

Old 10-16-08, 02:49 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply now that bring me up for another question. How do I coat 160 feet of 1/2" Copper? If not coated how long will it last? I don't think the Copper in the ground now is coated and it's been under ground for at least 20 years Thanks
JT

Old 10-16-08, 07:42 PM
Yes, 1/2 inch copper will be big enough. Yes, you need a regulator at new location. You may have to have line upsized from tank to house if it is 3/8 now. Not sure about coating copper underground. As far as I know, there is no code saying it is necessary and Ive removed buried copper thats been there for ages and it looks as good as the day it was born other than the color.

Old 10-18-08, 03:52 AM
The code for underground metallic piping (copper) is NFPA 58: Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code, 2008 Edition, Section 6.9.3.14.

"Underground metallic piping shall be protected against corrosion as warranted by soil conditions (see 6.16)."

Section 6.16.1:

"All metallic equipment and components that are buried or mounded shall be coated or protected and maintained to minimize corrosion."

thermofridge, I too have removed underground copper tubing that has held up to the test of time. I've also removed the underground copper tubing that I wouldn't trust to hold air.