Slant/Fin L30 PZ Oil to Gas retrofit

Old 09-08-08, 10:19 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Slant/Fin L30 PZ Oil to Gas retrofit

This unit is 12 years old and has performed well. I am however tired of cleaning it on an annual basis. I am considering switching from oil to natural gas. What is the best way if it is possible with this unit? Is there a difference between a Slant/Fin oil fired and natural gas boiler? Also, does the efficiency change when switching from oil to gas? As a final question, where can I purchase parts for the boiler online instead of going though a distributor?
Thank you for the help!

Old 09-08-08, 01:50 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You can probably use an in-shot gas conversion burner (Do a Google search.) for the conversion. I don't know if this would have any issue with warranty or EPA certifications.

Yes, there is a difference in the way the combustion chamber and burner(s) are designed between gas and oil-fired boilers. Most companies do not use something like the conversion burners for several reasons. I don't think there will be any significant difference in overall efficiency between the oil burner and the gas conversion burner unless you have a conversion burner that has a constant pilot rather than direct spark ignition.

As for parts...it depends upon what parts you are asking about. Boiler proper will be Slant Fin specific but almost everything you may need to replace such as controls, valves, expansion tank and the like are all made by other than Slant Fin and are readily available. One company that is often mentioned on these boards is Patriot Supply.

http://www.patriot-supply.com/

Old 09-08-08, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Conversion Gas Burner

Right now conversion gas burners are, no pun intended, a hot commodity. Being in short supply, you are likely to pay a premium. Some manufacturers are Carlin, Mitco, & Riello. From what I hear, Carlin can't come close to keeping up with demand. Mitco I know nothing about. Riello is nice equipment but not something every service company is familiar with. I do not suggest a homeowner tackle a gas conversion. There are just too many things which can go wrong with disastrous consequences.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: