Wether King Furnace Blower Wont Shut Off

Old 09-10-08, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wether King Furnace Blower Wont Shut Off

HI! I have a WEATHER KING gas furnace. It is 5 yrs old never had any trouble. We came home one night in the middle of the summer, when the thermostat is turned as low as possible, to the blower running. The only way I could get the blower to shut off was to flip the breaker. Any advice on how to fix the propblem or at least where to start to look for the problem...I am at a complete loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-08, 06:19 AM
Be sure that the t-stat fan switch is in "AUTO" vs "ON" mode.

If it's in Auto, go down to the furnace and remove the G wire at the board and turn on the power. (FYI, some Rheem/WK furnace the blower will turn on after power is applied for about 3 minutes)
If the blower does not run, then put the G wire back on. (ruled out the control)

Then remove it at the t-stat itself. If it stops, the it's the t-stat.

If it run, then may have a short in the wire.

Old 09-17-08, 02:21 PM
G wire

by G wire do you mean the ground or the actual green wire?

Old 09-17-08, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by bigjake25 View Post
by G wire do you mean the ground or the actual green wire?
When you remove the blower door on the furnace, there is a low voltage thermostat wire hook up onto the board.

On the board there are letters like R, W, G, C...ect. The G on the board is for Fan.

Old 09-21-08, 06:54 AM
ok I removed wire as advised and the blower still runs does this mean the IFC is bad?
Thanks

Old 09-21-08, 07:17 AM
Then yes, I'd say it's the board then.

Old 09-24-08, 06:10 AM
replcing board

is that something I can replace myself? it looks like it would just consist of disconnecting the existing wire replacing the board and reconnecting

Old 09-24-08, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by bigjake25 View Post
is that something I can replace myself? it looks like it would just consist of disconnecting the existing wire replacing the board and reconnecting
You could, but be sure you make notes of what wire went where..

If you get a wire in the wrong spot, that board or another part on the furnace may be toast.

Old 09-24-08, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could this furnace have a resettable high limit switch? Generically, if furnaces overheat and the limit trips, they can turn on the blower and stay running til you reset this safety switch.

The wiring diagram printed on the furnace would show if there is such a safety switch involved outside the board. IF there is such a switch and it tripped, and say you pressed in the tiny button to reset it, then you'd also have to look into what tripped the high limit in the first place.

Old 09-24-08, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Could this furnace have a resettable high limit switch? Generically, if furnaces overheat and the limit trips, they can turn on the blower and stay running til you reset this safety switch.

The wiring diagram printed on the furnace would show if there is such a safety switch involved outside the board. IF there is such a switch and it tripped, and say you pressed in the tiny button to reset it, then you'd also have to look into what tripped the high limit in the first place.

Very good point there E.. I forgot about that, some of them does that.

Old 09-24-08, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another thing is after re reading his post, he said about the summer time. What happens at least on older models, like *I* have, is that if the "off" fan switch setting is lower than what the temperature in the room is, it will keep running. In fact mine does that very thing! Even though I know how to fix (adjust the setting) it, I leave it, as I actually want that low setting, so instead, when I go to work on hot days, I unscrew my furnace fuse.

On the newer furnaces that have the fan timer in them, rather than the fan-limit switch, perhaps even these have some setting that needs to be tweaked, if the inside of the house is too warm.

Old 09-25-08, 12:21 PM
electrical surge

Thanks for the info...I will check the furnace for the resettable high limit switch like you suggested. Would an electrical surge cause the switch to come on? The same time that this happend we had a bad storm and had a power surge wich resulted in my surge protectors being flipped, and I also had to replace 2 NO FAULT outlets in the house. So do you think this would casue the Limit Switch to flip as well?
Thanks again
Jake

Old 09-25-08, 12:39 PM
I don't think the surge would do it, but you never know..

Just double check just to be sure, if all is good, then order the board.

if it's done by the surge, insurance may pay for it.