Gas Furnace gas leak

Old 09-18-08, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Furnace gas leak

Hi everyone:
I have a gas furnace, that has a small gas leak. The gas company came out, but couldnt find it. I can't afford to have someone come out and look at it, and since I'm mechanically inclined (lol) with some electrical background, I figured I'd do it myself. It's not a huge gas leak, there was a leak in the gas dryer that was the biggest problem. I fixed that by replacing the hose.
I am asking if anyone would know what it might be? Perhaps something loose that can be tightened?
Any comments will be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-08, 06:24 PM
get a spray bottle with a soap water solution and start spraying connections look for bubbles try and have all fans shut off so that the air is as still as possible when checking.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 09-19-08, 11:27 AM
What speedwrench said is correct, you can, in most cases, track down the leak with a little soapy water. Just a word of caution, make sure you done get any electrical connections wet. This is very important when checking the gas control valve. Also be aware the gas control valve could be passing gas through and you can only check that by pulling it apart.

Now, with that said let's go back to the gas company. They should have done what is called a "leak test". This is done with a water manometer. The process involves hooking up the manometer, pressurizing the system to a prescribed pressure, then wait. If the pressure drops, there is a leak, if it didn't, there is no leak. My question is... did they do this? If not, I would call them and demand they return (free of charge) an do it. This is the only true way in knowing IF there is a leak. While it will not determine where the leak is, it is a good first step. Additionally, if they know there is definitely a leak, did they lock out the furnace? By not doing so could make them liable for any thing that happens here on forward and put you at risk. There should be a concern with any gas leak, even the smallest of them. Small leak usually only get worse.