Miller Furnace ignition problem

Old 09-20-08, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Miller Furnace ignition problem

Hi...We have a CMF80-pg gas furnace for a manufactured home, never had a problem with it.
We went to start it today and the ignition switch doesnt even click. Any ideas or do we need to get a new switch, is it that simple or more difficult?

Any help would be appreciated. We bought the home last year and are in unfamiliar territory.

Thanks for any guidance.

Cindi

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-08, 03:01 PM
More info

I might add it seems there is no power coming on at all, I checked the circuit breaker, its like the unit is dead. Ive looked for a reset switch and Im unable to find one. Ive looked in the manual and I am unable to find if I can light the ignition myself. Please help!!
Thanks!

Last edited by HavenoclueNH; 09-20-08 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-20-08, 06:55 PM
There is an emergency switch someplace that is probably in the off position.. Are we talking a modular style home or a mobile home? In my sisters mobile home, the switch is across from the furnace, near the rear exit door.

If it is a modular home, the switch should be at the top of the stairs or just outside the door to the basement. It should have a red cover and be the highest switch on the wall.

Let me know if this is the problem. If not, I will help you further.

What town in NH are you from?

Old 09-20-08, 07:32 PM
Do you have A/C on this system? If so, has it been running before?

If your t-stat has a fan switch, switch it to "ON" from "AUTO", does the fan run?

Old 09-21-08, 03:57 AM
Thanks for all the advice. My hubby is still sleeping. So I will show him the answers you gave. I live in a mobile home, so there is no basement. I will check for that switch. We do have the ability to run a/c from this unit I think, but we dont utilize this. Ill post later if I have problems!

Thanks again and I live in the seacoast NH area.
The manual states there is an auxillary reset switch on the blower assembly but we cant find it.

Let me ask you, why would reset button be so far away from the furnace? Is there a safety reason for this?

thanks!

Old 09-21-08, 04:10 AM
That switch is not a reset, but an emergency shut off switch. In a house, it is typically at the top of the stairs, (older homes), or outside the cellar door, and the highest switch on the wall. In a mobile home, I think they put it in the entrance to the rear door. Its purpose is easy manual shut down of heating appliance without getting hurt, whether it be for you or the fireman.

I live in Manch......
Let me guess, you are from Seabrook? The Mobile home capitol of the state , Just kidding.

I worked for MBS about 2 years ago installing thermal expansion tanks, so you may have met me if you are from Seabrrok.

Old 09-21-08, 04:28 AM
Hi..no not seabrook, Exeter! Nice to meet you. I found the switch and it turned on. It was above the door. Of course. Again, we are new owners! You can be sure next year Ill remember it, and you know what? I figured it out before my husband! i think I get the day off with no housework for that!

thanks again to everyone who helped me.

Old 09-21-08, 04:33 AM
Glad to hear you got it going.

Now you just crawl back into bed, and have the hubby make breakfast in bed for you!

Old 09-21-08, 04:34 AM
If you do have air conditioning, it is not part of the furnace. The CMF-80's do not allow an a coil. Chances are you have an outdoor package a/c unit. Regardless....

Do you know if the furnace has a pilot lite or is it electronic ignition. If it has a pilot lite, there is a chance it went out over the summer. Another easy check is there is a door switch. If the door on the furnace isn't securely closed, the switch may not close.

Old 09-21-08, 07:01 AM
Ok..everything is going, but it still wont ignite. There is a blue bulb which I guess should be flashing? We keep pressing the pilot button as instructed, hit the button to ignite and it wont work. Blowers and everything are fine. It is an electrical start. it is blowing out cold air right now.

Geee, and I thought I had saved the day!! My hubby did make the breakfast though.

I just did some research. Could it be a thermocouple?(sp?) I mean, the furnace is doing everything but heating. If so, where could I get one?

Old 09-21-08, 07:24 AM
OK, Mrs Exeter

Before we talk about the thermocouple, is there even a pilot?
If not, we need to determine why we have no pilot. Do you have gas? We know the power is on. Do you know where to look for the pilot flame? When you push the piezo (red igniter button) down, and look int the burner area, do you see it spark? If yes, make sure the gas valve is in the correct position and pushed down. If the pilot is lighting, and you hold the pilot button down for a minute, once you let go, does the pilot go out, or stay lit?

Answer as many of these as possible and I will continue.

Old 09-21-08, 07:25 AM
Thermocouple can be found at most Home Centers, or Hardware store.

Being that you are a new owner of the home, I'd suggest you get some one in and just give the furnace a good look over and check up for you.

Old 09-21-08, 07:36 AM
Oh to the point! HAHAH....quite assertive are we? THanks guys for all your help!!

We just got it, we didnt have the ignition didnt spark at all, hubby kept at it and its blowing hot air...
thanks for your hard work and taking your time to help us. We really appreciate it.

I hope everyone has a great day and God bless :-)

Old 09-21-08, 07:48 AM
Do you have other gas fired appliances in the home?

You may of had air in the line, and he got the air out after many hours of trying to light the pilot.