"Z" setting on Beckett AFG

Old 09-27-08, 11:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Z" setting on Beckett AFG

I'm trying to adjust the Z dimension on my oil burner. It's a AFG Beckett with a F type head on the firing (air) tube. The problem is that the manual specifies 2 values 1-3/8 and 1-1/8 for heat shield and no heat shield, respectively. Now my question is: what is this heat shield and how do I know if the burner has one? The head on the tube has a built in tapered plate with slits in it, could this be the "heat shield"? Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-08, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The heat shield would be out in front of the flame, inside the actual combustion chamber, on single gun-type burners, that shoot the flame inward horizontally (as opposed to furnaces with multiple burners that produce rows of smaller flames that naturally rise upward by just a number of inches underneath the entire exchanger) that is so as to deflect the flame outward and disperse the heat thoughout the combustion chamber for better even dispersion of heat through the exchanger, and perhaps to protect the rear of the furnace from a direct blast.

[BTW, I know someone with a Miller who had their furnace get a hole burned right through the back of it! I actually saw it with my own eyes. It had one of these single gun-type burners. Luckily the family did not die of CO! Possible failure of the heat shield?, since they were on NG, unless someone had somehow messed with the valve pressure?]

What you are describing is probably outside the combustion chamber and is probably an adjustable air shutter.

Old 09-27-08, 01:58 PM
Hello, and welcome to DIY

The heat shield is added to an end cone when the heat is going to cause the end of the burner tube as shown on page 10 of this Beckett manual to melt.

http://www.beckettcorp.com/protect/t...104BAFGR04.pdf
I am not sure if it will allow you to enter this page as it is in a password protected area for professionals only. Or at least that is where I found it. If you can get this PDF file, go to page 10 and look at the picture of the burner parts. It will show the difference.

If the end cone of your burner is a flat surface about 1/2" wide you most likely do not have a heat shield. Of all the burners I have worked on, which is a lot by the way, I have only run into a few heat shields. Small combustion chambers is usually a reason for a heat shield.

Old 09-27-08, 04:01 PM
Thank you

I was able to see that pdf. Not that I think I'm a pro now.. Funny, my six year old manual has the same pics, EXCEPT the heat shield detail. Anyway, you are right, I don't have a shield. Set it to 1-1/8, thanks again.