Basic Oil Burner operation information.

Old 09-28-08, 09:55 PM
Basic Oil Burner operation information.

Hi all,

I recently finished converting a small oil furnace to burn waste oil, specifically used transformer oil removed from X-ray equipment. I've learn a lot about the burner (a standard Beckett AFG bought on Ebay) and the basics of how a furnace operates, but now I want to test the combustion efficiency and learn more about the stack, it's various components, how flue height effects draft, and other things like that. I modifed the burner by installing a pre-heater in-line between the oil pump and the nozzle. The burner and the furnace work great! But I want to test the flue gas and other parameters so that I can tweek its performance and efficiency. Could someone please point me to a good web site that explains basic information about oil burner efficiency and how the design of the stack affects it? Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-08, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Combustion Testing

There is some very good information on combustion testing available from Bacharach Inc. in thier "training room".

Old 09-29-08, 09:29 PM
Hi Grady - thanks for the link! I'll check them out.

Any other tutorials or technical information about oil burner furnaces would be much appreciated.