Gas Furnace Blower Motor - Too Much Oil?

Old 09-30-08, 11:44 AM
Gas Furnace Blower Motor - Too Much Oil?

I was at my mother's house recently and changed the filter, vacumned out all the dirt and oiled the blower motor on her Trane furnace.

There was only one port for the oil on the blower motor and while I tried very hard to put in only one or two drops, it evidently didn't need any new oil because it spilled over. I wiped up and tried to remove the excess as best I could.

Since then my mother called complaining of an acrid oder. I don't mess around with this kind of thing so I called the gas company and asked them to come look at the switch. They refused, saying it was in the house so it wasn't their problem and referred me to a repair man. I made an appointment to have him come inspect it tomorrow.

However, I'm wondering if maybe she's smelling the oil burning off from too much oil on the blower motor. Also, since reading up on this I may have used the wrong kind of oil. If so, do you have any insight for how I might be able to remedy the situation?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-08, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Too much oil?

I doubt the smell is caused by too much oil unless it got into the windings & has fried the motor.
Any odor from a gas fired furnace justifies a visit from a qualified service person.

Old 10-06-08, 03:45 AM
Follow-up

Thank you. The technician said the blower motor was fine and the smell turned out to be a problem with the natural gas switch not being all the way on.