Carrier Weathermaster SX

Old 10-02-08, 09:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier Weathermaster SX

I am not sure of the age of this furnace as it was here when I bought the house.

I went to fire it for the first time this season. It has what I can best describe as a small "pre-blower" that comes on when you turn the heat on at the thermostat. That will start blowing, but the furnance never actually fires up & the large blower does not come on. Turning the unit thermostat to a/c shows the blower to be working. I cannot see a pilot light ( i think it only fires when needed & does not burn all of the time.) I followed the procedure printed inside of the furnace to clear the gas out & re-start the process, but that did not get me any further than before.

We recently went 12 days without electricity, but I do not what relavancy that would have to this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-02-08, 04:46 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Have yourself or someone else watch and listen to the furnace as the thermostat is dialed up to call for heat.

You should hear the small blower come on. Next there should be a red glow appearing, close to the fire tubes. The gas valve will click and the burners light. Finally the main blower will come on.

Your furnace is stopping short of this, but tell us where.

I suspect the flame sensor but tell us how far the start up goes.

We only lost phone for three days and power for five days in S/W Ohio with the big blow.

Old 10-03-08, 08:33 AM
I'm in Bellbrook, in a meighborhood with no above-ground utilities, so no poles to blow over, & DP&L kinda forgot us or something. Oh well.

I had someone look at the furnace. He stated that the 3-line pilot ($300) is bad & that he will also need to clean the burners ($169) due to an irregular burn pattern, but that he believes that the burners will need to be replaced ($600). He said this will need to be done before he can properly check the heat exchanger, which he believes is probably broken anyway.

As the furnace was installed in 1989, I cannot see spending much more than $300 on repairs, so I am shopping for a new furnace.

Old 10-04-08, 10:33 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
While it's probably time to look for a higher efficiency furnace, I would put the person who came to your house on my "never call again" list.

Old 10-04-08, 11:28 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to get right down there and see if the pilot comes on within about 30 seconds after the ventor draft motor comes on. You have to carefuly look and see and be certain of your answer. Then the problem can be tackled with that knowledge.

Triple pilot tube? Really! Never heard of such a thing. (Has anyone else?) I can see 3 total things as being say a pilot tube, main tube and flame sensing line of some sort. But not 3 actual pilot burners. That be a new one on me. But even if say there was like 3 pilots, each of those would have to be addressed the same way as if you had one.

It has to be established if 24 volts is getting to the PV (pilot valve) terminal on gas valve, or coming out say a control module. If it is, yet no pilot, then one suspects clogged orifice for pilot.

If it is not, you have to find out if reason ventor is not venting adequately, and maybe not allowing th pressure switch to "close", for instance.

Flame sensor does not come in line in the sequence of things til you actually have a flame. And often time pilot flame sensing is done by the pilot assembly. Bottom line is we have to know if you have pilot flame even for 1 second.

This all may be over your head for now, but we need to klnow if the pilot comes on, as stated.

Old 10-04-08, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51`
Triple pilot tube? Really! Never heard of such a thing. (Has anyone else?) .
I am wondering if they meant the pilot senor..... (drawing a blank on the name of it)... It plugs on top of the gas valve and has 3 probe...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: