*** Beckett Problem ****

Old 10-04-08, 03:04 AM
Exclamation *** Beckett Problem ****

Hi I have a Beckett burner on my forced air furnace and each time fires up there seems to be a small delay on the fuel ignition becouse creats a smoke, what would be the problemGI2

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-08, 03:58 PM
It could be any of several problems. It could be a weak ignition transformer; dirty, corroded and improperly adjusted ignition electrodes; a worn nozzle; dirty combustion air blower; improperly functioning fuel pressure regulator, faulty fuel oil solenoid valve (if fitted); dirty fuel oil filter, leaking fuel lines or even low fuel oil level in the supply tank. When was this unit last serviced and what service was performed?

Old 10-04-08, 05:38 PM
it has been a year ago when was serviced, everything was checked and adjusted on the burner, it is A AF model, not sure if there is solenoid, I got a new nozzle a month ago, it seems like when I reduce air intake if fires a lot better, how should the electrodes be set, I don't have a manual for it, maybe someone would be able to post a link to pdf file from Beckett website

Old 10-04-08, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Electrode settings

Beckett electrode specs for an A or AF burner are:
1/16" ahead of the nozzle face;
5/32" apart;
7/16" above the nozzle center

Old 10-10-08, 06:49 AM
Thumbs up A Thankyou To Grady and All

Just a quick thanks to you guys...great info...I have read and used it to get my burner going...and yes Grady...I have one of the cursed AF11-150's from Beckett...that's why I'm on this forum! lol

Old 10-10-08, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bassman

If you used those settings to get an AF-II running, it's a major miracle. The proper settings are found on page 12 of the manual here: http://www.beckettcorp.com/protect/t...04BAFIIR01.pdf

Old 10-11-08, 07:30 AM
Thumbs up Thanks for Posting the Manual :)

Seems to be firing up well...outside chimeny..smoke seems to be a little rich...will go back and tune up.... .85-60W in there now...air intake is set @ 3 1/4 on the side of the burner....the height over the center of the nozzle pretty much took care of itself with the 5/32 spacing...tried a 1.00-80W in there...worked like crap...just couldn't get it running right...think I pretty much covered all the incorrect things in that manual you posted (incorrect nozzle and flow rates)!! On the road to recovery now I think...either that or I'll just put a Riello in there! lol Thanks for the info Grady

Old 10-11-08, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Riello

The Riello would be the best money you could spend on that furnace. It's unusual to replace a burner on a furnace. What kind & how old is it?

Old 10-12-08, 06:50 AM
Just bought this house here...and it's 8 years old...so I suspect the furnace (New Yorker) and burner (Beckett AF11-150) are the same year...probably never been serviced in the 8 years it heated the home...was in bad running shape...I think the previous owner was hitting the reset multiy times...running ok now....my previous home had a Riello..pretty clean burning out the chimney...chimney smoke seems a tad on the rich side here...not like the 1.00 nozzle that I first tried on the Beckett...couldn't dial that one in for some reason.. .85 seems more user friendly for this Beckett burner....but if it gives me any major troubles that I can't handle...I don't have any problems replacing it with a Riello...but for now...we'll see how she runs...Thanks Grady

Old 10-12-08, 03:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
New Yorker

It being a New Yorker, it must be a boiler (hot water or steam heat).

BTW, is it Bass as in fish or Bass as in music?

Old 10-13-08, 07:20 AM
Talking

Yep..hot water... baseboard here....and the many years of music..it would be bass player...but now living on the Mira River here in Cape Breton Nova Scotia...it could be BASS!lol We have a world record bass caught here...Mira River holds the Canadian record for a Striped Bass. Caught by Gordon Strong April 15, 1994, it's a 24.57 kg (54.06 pound) monster..............Also if you like Trout....
Charlie Lahey's fish is now listed as the largest brown trout ever caught in Nova Scotia. A provincial fisheries biologist confirmed the record, the Cape Breton Post reported Monday.

The 8.3-kilogram fish, caught April 21 in the Mira River, beat the record of 3.58 kg set last year.

Charlie Lahey's fish is now listed as the largest brown trout ever caught in Nova Scotia. A provincial fisheries biologist confirmed the record, the Cape Breton Post reported Monday.
The 8.3-kilogram fish, caught April 21 in the Mira River, beat the record of 3.58 kg set last year.
Never got my boat this year..too many projects on the go...but wehen I do stop in for a visit...and we'll do some fishing on the Mira Grady!! lol

Old 10-13-08, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fishing

I wish I had time to accept all the "let's go fishing" offers. Maybe when I retire, yeah right, I'll probably be working until two days after I croak.

Old 10-14-08, 07:51 AM
Talking

lol...yep...as for me it's like the London Life commercial...Freedom (85)...that's like when they pat your face...with the shovel!! lol Oh well...and in the mean time on those cold winter days coming up...I can always go in front of the house...and ice fish!!

Old 10-15-09, 08:42 AM
AF11-150 Back To The Top For This Season!!lol

[QUOTE=Grady;1445198]It being a New Yorker, it must be a boiler (hot water or steam heat).

AF11-150...Once again...after that burner was setup last season..by a local company...he ran his smoke test twice....several weeks after leaving here...it blew the chimney pipe off..he came back and slapped it together...leaving me and the wife with a smell of burning oil all winter in our home...so I pulled the thing apart my self...I found it lifted the top of the New Yorker...bolts were loose...seal was blown away...got that all up to scratch...and things seemed to be fine....new filter and nozzle for the start of this season...and it seems to be burning rich...seems to do that eventually...never really liked the way this thing runs anyway....I replaced it with the same nozzle..but the nozzle that he put in and set the furnace up with is a 85x60W...the Mgf's plate calls for a 85x60B Delavan...you think that the wide dispersion over the 60B "more solid spray as I read"...is causing the furnace to soot up...and eventually..be wet and sooty when I pull the nozzle and electrodes out

Old 10-15-09, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
'W' vs 'B' nozzle

There's more wrong than the difference in a 'B' & 'W' Delavan nozzle. Not sure if you can acess this manual or not but if so, it may help with the burner set up.
http://www.beckettcorp.com/protect/t...04BAFIIR01.pdf

What's the model number of the boiler?

Old 10-16-09, 09:03 AM
Beckett AF2-150 & NY Thermal C-125 BF

Originally Posted by Grady View Post
There's more wrong than the difference in a 'B' & 'W' Delavan nozzle. Not sure if you can acess this manual or not but if so, it may help with the burner set up.
http://www.beckettcorp.com/protect/t...04BAFIIR01.pdf

What's the model number of the boiler?
Thanks for the PDF on the Beckett Grady......

It's a NY Thermal C-125 BF from what i see on it's chart.....here's a PDF of the boiler...I see my air is calling for 3.5...mine is set @ 3.25...maybe burning too rich? also from the time the furnace starts till ignition...that takes about 18 seconds to go through the cycle...ignition is starting with a little puff...but runs fine after that...flame looks good...from what I see through the "blue window" lol.....A BF5 direct vent Rielo will cure all huh? Probably one of the reasons that you replace so many of these AF2's for carbon and soothing up!! One more question for you pal..."diesel mechanics" is my field....in the enclosed NY Thermal PDF...Under the air setting for Beckett...under AIR it states 3.5....and pin "2"?? Where is "PIN 2"...and could it be the service guy has this set up on "PIN 1"?? He did mention something about pins and not knowing the right one...he said he didn't do any of these burners...this was his first AF2.....maybe that's why he was reading out of the manual!! lol Nothing worse than paying good money for a job...then going behind and fixing the screw ups!!

http://www.nythermal.com/pdfs/Capricedvm.pdf

Old 10-16-09, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Firing Pin

The firing pin is now called "stop screw". Spares should be in the burner body or if you still have the original installation materials, they could be in there.

Old 10-16-09, 06:13 PM
stop screw/ firing pin

The firing pin is now called "stop screw". Spares should be in the burner body or if you still have the original installation materials, they could be in there.
Thanks for the clarification Grady..
I've never touched this stop screw/ firing pin...it's in the center over the top of the electrodes....it seems to be bottomed out on the back of the back of choke ring ...anything to look for there...do you guys make any kind of changes or adjustments?......Also... I'll have to take a good look at nozzle adapter...I'll put it under the magnifying glass and to make sure there's no damage when he changed the nozzle....a second opinion is always good...right Dr.Grady??lol Company here the past few days...so all is running with heat and hot water...a further inspection and tune up at a later date I guess Doc!! lol

Old 10-17-09, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stop Screw

I think they are marked with a number (on the head?) & no, if it is working ok, I don't mess with it. Second opinions are always a good idea especially if there is any question in your mind.

Old 10-18-09, 06:23 AM
Talking Fishing

I think they are marked with a number (on the head?) & no, if it is working ok, I don't mess with it. Second opinions are always a good idea especially if there is any question in your mind.
Just remember pal...a bad day of fishing beats any good day at work!! lol

Old 10-18-09, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fishing

Originally Posted by Bassman2 View Post
Just remember pal...a bad day of fishing beats any good day at work!! lol
Sure enough. I haven't had the boat in the water all year.

Old 10-18-09, 04:36 PM
Boat

Pulled mine out last week...but mine is a 22' cuddy cab Bayliner for the river...more for cruising...not much good for fishing! lol And as for the furnace...put the stock nozzle in....set it up according to the spec sheet....found info that said to set the air dial on 2....no smoke test gear here...it was @ 3.25....rolled it back...running fine for now...subject to change though!! I thought the rich burning was cause by lack of air....that small puff on start up....hmmm.....seems like I should have opened the air up....but decreasing was the way to go???? lol

Old 10-18-09, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Air Setting

Where did you find the air setting spec at 2? From what I saw in the PDF, it should be at 3.5 with a 9 slot head & #2 pin. The following is just some FYI & not meant to imply the air setting of 2 is correct. You need someone with the right test gear & the knowledge to interpret the results to check things out.

As strange as it may seem, a flame too lean can & will cause a bigger problem than one too rich. A flame way too lean will cool the flame & cause unburned fuel to coat the heat exchanger. It will then, for lack of a better description, smolder & produce very high levels of CO & soot. The soot will then become saturated with more unburned fuel until we get what is called a running saturation. This is indicated by the soot being more tar like than fluffy & dry.

Old 10-19-09, 10:26 AM
Lightbulb HLX Air Dial Setting

HLX Air Dial Setting Firing [email protected] 140 psi AFII 150 0.75-1.00 =2 0.95-1.20=3

yes...saw the 3.5...and thought it was too lean when it was set @ 3.25......but running fine right now @ 2....it does not run right with the setup that was on it before....I wouldn't be doing this for a fun past time if it was!! lol Will keep an eye on it for soot saturation Grady....really don't have much faith in the last burner guy that set it up with the test gear....will monitor the running of it and if I notice anything I will then ask the burner guy in our maintenance department to take a look at it...he's a great guy...and knows his stuff.....should have done that from the start...instead of the wife's family!!

Old 10-19-09, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good Luck

Keep me up to speed on how it's doing. If the burner guy in your maint. dept. has an analyzer capable of doing CO, I suggest getting him to take a look & test the combustion.

Old 10-20-09, 10:17 AM
up to speed

Keep me up to speed on how it's doing. If the burner guy in your maint. dept. has an analyzer capable of doing CO, I suggest getting him to take a look & test the combustion.
Will do...great forums here by the way Grady...as always thanks for all your help ....even found a sticky for the boat winterizing...now to get off my ass this week and do it!! lol inboard/stern drives a pain...especially when it's an older Volvo Penta!!

Old 03-04-10, 03:43 PM
Months Later Report !! lol

Well...after a few months of maintenance free running...air is set about 21/8 ...stock nozzle (85x60B Delavan) took out the 85x60W and set up electrodes to speck...not a lick of trouble all year...friend never came by to do a CO test...but he said every one that he's ever setup ...the air settings always end up around the 21/8 mark..and to call if I have any troubles...so far so good...and burning clean!! For some major reason this burner just doesn't take kindly to the 85x60W nozzle!! So it's a 85x60B Delavan every year from here on!! Beer 4U2

Old 03-04-10, 05:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs up No Trouble

Glad to hear all has been well with the burner. You must have one of "those" burners. Every once in a great while I'll run into one, & the brand doesn't seem to matter, which is very particular about it's nozzle. One which comes to mind is a Crown CT-3 with a Riello. It wants a specific nozzle by a specific manufacturer otherwise it won't run worth crap. I have a dozen others just like it which aren't at all picky about their nozzle. Go figure.

Old 03-05-10, 09:23 AM
Thumbs up Thanks Pal

Yes.....one of "those" burners for sure!! lol But from now on before I get into a field which is not my expertise...I will truly read the manuals...and when working on it....fire away every thing that is not a stock part...and make it just like factory!! I think I'd still be screwing with this thing if it had one of the 85x60W nozzles!! BTW..electrodes are looking tired..."from all the past abuse I guess"....and I'm not so sure they are the proper ones for my model...I bent them into the proper specs... also the screw clamp has cracks in it...do you know of any place in Canada I can get the proper replacement electrodes ...and a new screw clap for holding the electrodes?? Never asked anyone around here...so far while it's working great...the term comes to mind...."if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol

Old 03-05-10, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Parts in Canada

I presume those electrodes should be fairly common. Some of the furnaces I install are Canadian made & come with Beckett burners. The clamp may be a bit harder to come by. You may have to buy the whole nozzle tube assembly. If they aren't serious cracks I wouldn't worry much about them.

I was just reviewing the PDF for the boiler & noticed it has an L8124 aquastat. You probably also have a R8184G primary control. If this is the case & you want to save a lot of wear & tear on the electrodes you could replace the R8184G with an R7184A.

Old 04-29-10, 04:53 PM
Thumbs up

I presume those electrodes should be fairly common. Some of the furnaces I install are Canadian made & come with Beckett burners. The clamp may be a bit harder to come by. You may have to buy the whole nozzle tube assembly. If they aren't serious cracks I wouldn't worry much about them.

I was just reviewing the PDF for the boiler & noticed it has an L8124 aquastat. You probably also have a R8184G primary control. If this is the case & you want to save a lot of wear & tear on the electrodes you could replace the R8184G with an R7184A.
Thanks for the info again pal...will keep that in mind for the fall tune up....right now...time to get to work on the Bayliner!! lol

Old 04-29-10, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bassman

Good to hear from you again. Yep, gotta get those holes in the water ready to put in the water. I have to replace one battery & repair a chip in the hull, then I'll be ready to go.