Tappan Flame light after inital startup

Old 10-04-08, 03:47 PM
Tappan Flame light after inital startup

I have a tappan furnace that is 5 years old. I just turned it on a few days ago and today I noticed that it was continually cycling. It would run the "pressure build up" fan, ignite the burners, and within a few seconds the burner would turn off and the flame light on the circuit board would start flashing. It would then turn on the "pressure" fan again and the entire sequence would start over again. I did pull a plug on the bottom of the fan and water came out. BTW, this furnace gets it's air from outside via PVC pipe. What could be causing this. When the main blower comes on seems to be the time the flame goes out. I've changed the filter but no difference.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-08, 03:51 PM
I do not know your specific unit but the first thing to check is the flame sensor. Generally this is a rod about 1/8 inch in diameter that is placed in the flame of the burner the farthest away from the ignition burner. It is usually held in place bu a single, or maybe two, screw(s) and has a single wire connected that runs back to the main circuit board or perhaps to the gas valve assembly.

Remove the flame sensor and clean it with a Scotchbrite pad then replace it. Make sure that the wire is firmly attached.

Post back if this doesn't work or you can't figure it out. Pictures are always helpful.

To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Old 10-04-08, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
I do not know your specific unit but the first thing to check is the flame sensor. Generally this is a rod about 1/8 inch in diameter that is placed in the flame of the burner the farthest away from the ignition burner. It is usually held in place bu a single, or maybe two, screw(s) and has a single wire connected that runs back to the main circuit board or perhaps to the gas valve assembly.

Remove the flame sensor and clean it with a Scotchbrite pad then replace it. Make sure that the wire is firmly attached.

Post back if this doesn't work or you can't figure it out. Pictures are always helpful.

To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.
Furd,

First of all, thank you for the quick response. I figured out the problem. A few years ago, I noticed water on the floor around the furnace but could not figure out where it was coming from. Towards the end of last winter, I found it was coming from a hole in the PVC pipe that took the exhaust air out. I sealed it with plumbers putty and everything was good....so I thought. Now today, after I let all the water out of the drain hole on the "Induced Draft Blower", the furnace worked fine. I then took the book and checked a few of the diagrams and discovered a drain line was not attached to the in-line drain assembly on the PVC exhaust pipe. I am quite pissed now since it looks like the furnace was installed improperly and now I have rusting areas in the furnace because it was leaking all this time. I now have heat but will be making a call to the installers and will not accept anything but a new furnace.

Again, thanks for your help and quick response.